23 Day Goldless streak comes to an end!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello fellow pirates,

Have had a rough time pulling much of anything from the sand for the last 3 weeks. But today, my new Nuttal scoop finally tasted gold for the first time!

I went out earlier for the afternoon low tide, deciding it was worth braving the tourists to see what meager earnings I could muster. My third target after getting started was a rather nice silver earring. Even weighs 3 grams, quite a lot for an earring.

silver stud.JPG

I keep on goin, and 15 miniutes later, I get another loud blast in my ear. First scoop of sand I pull up, and I see a ring poking out of the sand in the scoop. It was all I could do to put it in my pocket, but I did and kept going. Turned out to be a huge spinner ring. Weighs 11 grams, and is marked 925.

silver spinner.JPG

So for this trip, 2 silver, Im thinking, "this is a great trip". Didnt even have 10 cents in clad yet, and I had two silver items. I keep moving along, and about 5 or 6 blocks later, I find a nice little earring. Turns out to be 10k gold, and it is just enough to break my goldless streak at long last.

arr!.JPG

THE CURSE IS GONE! AT LAST!

I dont get any more goodies that trip, but as I am heading home, I am hunting the "coin line", and come across a very densely populated target field. I am stoked, and yank out at least 20 coins before I decide enough is enough. I make a note of the area, and head home, leaving it unfinished.

So after sitting around for 8 hours, it is finally time to hit another low tide. I get to the beach, and start moving slowly torwards the target field I noticed last time. Not 10 miniutes into the hunt, I get a blast, and expect a nice quarter. But instead, I find a nice silver ring. Looks like a knot design of some sort.

silver knot.JPG

At this point, I am stoked, I have found more at that point than in a week or two before hand. So with a big smile on my face, I keep moving on along. I get to the target field I left unfinished earlier, and start a working. Sure enough, I left a ton of coins behind. When I work them, I always stubbornly work them way farther down than there are targets, always hoping for that heavy ring that washed down below the field. And tonight, it paid off bigtime.

On one grid pass heading into the water, I get a signal right in the churn. Fortunatly, the waves were not so bad. The noise was new to me, as I am learning the sounds, and I hadnt really heard this one before. Somewhere between can slaw and nickle. After 3 scoops, finally, silence in the hole. Wash out the scoop, look in, and crap! shells 1+ inch deep. At this point, I think, "Great, I most likely dont have the target, and now im gonna have to walk up and dump this out, and hope its in here." About halfway through that train of thought, I notice something that is distinctly not shell-like. Rather, it looks like the side of a ring that is holding a stone. And lo and behold, its a sapphire! WOOT! The ring turns out to be 14k, and has 2 small diamonds in it as well. 45 miniutes into the hunt, and I have silver, gold, and a bunch of clad. I was stoked!

sapphire.JPG

On my way home later, I met another fellow I have seen a few times, and we chatted for a while. After we parted, I headed home, working the water as far out as I could manage. Picked up a target, and the waves bashed me to pieces. So I was forced in a bit to work a little lighter surf area. On the way in, I get a very faint and light signal, and it is hardly repeatable. Very jumpy instead. I decide, what the hell, its worth a try(dont get many targets of that sound in the surf). After several scoops, the hole is clean. I figure its likely a small object, and head to shore to toss it out, hoping I didnt miss it in the hole. I empty the scoop, and the sound is almost that of can slaw, almost nulls out. I kick the pike over, and see something stick out. I pick it up, and in the moonlight, I see what I thought was gold, and a big piece of gold. And two big stones to boot! Turns out it is silver, but it is a lunker, and the stones are beautiful. I was so stoked, I turned off the detector, and ran home. Needless to say, the wife was elated with the rings :). She wants to make earrings with the two amethyst. ::) Oh well, we will see.

huge silver.JPG

Well, thats all for now. Was so excited i stayed up late to bring you this post. Hope you all were scoring it big as well!
Anthony

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice Anthony.

Congrats !

Jeff

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
outstanding  wow!!  Sapphire  is  really    nice  I  missed  One  by  10    feet . I'm  still  having  stomach pains  over  that  one .. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Guzz

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would kill for a day like that. Congrats :thumbsup:

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
great finds,love the short story :icon_study:

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed Once by 10 feet . I'm still having stomach pains over that one

Gary did it look something like this ;D ;D

You had a awesome day Anthony, keep up the good work

Attachments

• best one.jpg
    best one.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 345
  • best one.jpg
    best one.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 342
OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I have been drooling over that ring myself, and when I found this one, I thought of yours as well. Even dug up your post to compare the two, knowing yours was worth enough to buy a car :). I dont think mine is quite as nice, but, its still the best stone I have found as of yet.

Its funy, I was having such a hard time hunting, I was considering hanging up the detector for a bit. But you just never know what will pop up next! Thanks for the positive feedback, and the encouragement when I wasnt doing so well. Perserverence pays!

Anthony

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Sapphire is a sweet little ring!

Ozzygold

Jan 9, 2008
Australia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites PI Surf
I wanna become a member of the t-net sapphire club too...Can't wait for our Summer. Great finds!!!

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
here comes the stomach pains again ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Guzz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread