23 fakes in one field in one night..

HEADHUNTER

Aug 30, 2005
North Central,PA
My son had been waiting for a certain field to be plowed so he could be the first there...Well, with work, It did work out that way...He seen another person walking the field, so he waited to go, finally he got the chance to go and found a couple broken points..about a week later we were headed to another good spot and the Sky opened up..so we decided when it let up we would hit the field where he found the broken ones, as soon as we walked into the field he found one of the reddish color fakes, and the the all started showing up. at first we said wow..then 23 later we said somebodies mad at us for walking there favorite field..We are pretty sure we know the guy who did this..I posting a picture of the stuff that we usually find and the fakes...Thanks for looking..I do have to admit...This jerk does do nice work..

Attachments

• Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 738
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 724
Upvote 0

wilycreek

Greenie
May 30, 2009
Bushwacker County MO
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Dude, if someone gave me arrowheads that I'm sure are fake I'd use them. The ones you found are awesome and I'm sure they'd fly true. Also these would sell from 3 to 10 dollars each, so you recieved at least 70 bucks worth of fodder for your time.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just cant imagine anyone being so low life as to seed an authentic site with their fakes. So this guy would know if he found it it was real or one of his and you would go for the easy pickins. I hope you explained all this to your son.
I would post this in the artifact section on T-Net.
Bump
TnMtns

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

This happens more than a lot of people know. John

OP
OP
HEADHUNTER

HEADHUNTER

Aug 30, 2005
North Central,PA
If the dude could sell them and make money, then why would he seed a field. I wouldnt sell the fakes,There is to much of this going on, and how many of them are being passed on as real 2000 year old point. I believe i will contact this jerk and tell him I heard he flint knaps and see if he would show me some of his work, I want to see some of the material he uses, When I'm sure its him. then let him know i found his fakes. If we wouldnt of found them before the farmer actually planted the field, They would of been buried, and who knows how many years they would be resurfacing. and who would of found them thinking they were real. I hope this doesnt happen to others.

Good luck hunting. Ron.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEADHUNTER said:
If the dude could sell them and make money, then why would he seed a field. I wouldnt sell the fakes,There is to much of this going on, and how many of them are being passed on as real 2000 year old point. I believe i will contact this jerk and tell him I heard he flint knaps and see if he would show me some of his work, I want to see some of the material he uses, When I'm sure its him. then let him know i found his fakes. If we wouldnt of found them before the farmer actually planted the field, They would of been buried, and who knows how many years they would be resurfacing. and who would of found them thinking they were real. I hope this doesnt happen to others.

Good luck hunting. Ron.
I would also tell the farmer to ban this guy from the property due to his destruction of archeological history and send him back his points after you ball peen them with a little note.
Its a shame he took the low road with his talent.
Let is know how all this turns out Ron.
HH
Richard

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not conceive of someone doing such a thing, and what the satisfaction might be they would derive from it. He does have a little skill going on, and it probably would have fooled a lot of folks. I can flake a little, and I was told to take the waste flakes and bury them with a modern penny, to keep from confusing folks in the future. You at least did a service to everybody else by clearing them from the field.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Yo, Gents.

Time out here.

I'm a cat lover. We have four of them.

A pretty good friend is a bird lover. Shoots every cat that comes onto his property. And laughs about it.

Seeing as we're friends, he doesn't keep putting his trip up in my face to annoy me; I spare him my raps about what great little creatures cats are, and life goes on.

A lot of people out there have adopted the ivory tower archaeology viewpoint that anybody who picks up an artifact and keeps is a looter, and looters ought to be shot. Not a few professional archaeologists make themselves so obnoxious with this that they isolate themselves from the collectors who would gladly be their extra eyes, ears and brains if they were only treated with some respect and common courtesy.

(Brains ? Absolutely. It makes me laugh when I read stuff like "The distribution of this type is unfortunately not known." Well hells bells doc -- just ask somebody like Greg Perino or Tom Davis).

(But that would be fraternization with the enemy, wouldn't it ?)

The big picture is so dysfunctional as it is that nobody needs any more gratuitous hostility in it that pretty much boils down to cats and birds.

OK ?

"Dont pee in the soup -- it's everybody's dinner." (Polish proverb).

My two cents' worth.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uniface said:
Yo, Gents.

Time out here.

I'm a cat lover. We have four of them.

A pretty good friend is a bird lover. Shoots every cat that comes onto his property. And laughs about it.

Seeing as we're friends, he doesn't keep putting his trip up in my face to annoy me; I spare him my raps about what great little creatures cats are, and life goes on.

A lot of people out there have adopted the ivory tower archaeology viewpoint that anybody who picks up an artifact and keeps is a looter, and looters ought to be shot. Not a few professional archaeologists make themselves so obnoxious with this that they isolate themselves from the collectors who would gladly be their extra eyes, ears and brains if they were only treated with some respect and common courtesy.

(Brains ? Absolutely. It makes me laugh when I read stuff like "The distribution of this type is unfortunately not known." Well hells bells doc -- just ask somebody like Greg Perino or Tom Davis).

(But that would be fraternization with the enemy, wouldn't it ?)

The big picture is so dysfunctional as it is that nobody needs any more gratuitous hostility in it that pretty much boils down to cats and birds.

OK ?

My two cents' worth.

Sorry I think as you stated he already whizzed in the soup with his seeding of that field. A little gratutious hostility should be in order. I say ball peen the points and send them back and not tolerate obvious dysfunctional behaviour.We are not dealing with a proffesional thinker here.

Only once in a blue moon is something new learned on these cultures like the carved mastadon out of Fla the other day found by an average collector so I say shame on someone that seeds sites
and disrupts timelines with fakes.
Ball peen on. :thumbsup:

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take the points, advertise them as Amateur made fakes, sell them, and send a copy of the sales receipt to the maker of the points. Make sure he can see the word Amateur and that he knows how much you made from his fakes ;D Also ask him where else he dumps his work so you can 1) keep ancient sites clean, and 2) make a few extra bucks.

C

Cappy Z.

It's early here about 4:46am. Couldn't sleep. Coffee's almost one. I always wanted to try knapping and I don't mean sleeping lol and actually I did once with some chert I dug out of my backyard. However I have never read how to..do it correctly. Mostly trial and massive error. I was checking out this site because I have some chunks of Jasper I thought about trying to make into ..something. Then I stumbled upon this thread re fakes in the field.

Frankly, why would someone put all that effort then dump the neo-flakes? I'd sell them on Ebay for at least a buck o two. It seems alot work for ..nothing?

Anyway I enjoy seeing your photos and workmanship. Keep posting.

Chief Redeyes.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Before you take the hammer to the pieces, take a good look and make sure that all of them are fake... A couple of those look like they have seen some use and might just be old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread