$25 in silver halves!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
After years of dormancy, I've recently started asking for and ordering half dollars at local banks. When we were kids, the Thompson boys wore out local tellers asking for $50 or $100 in pennies at a time, bankrolled by my beloved father. I've had some pretty good days lately, meaning maybe seven half dollars with any silver. Through 1964, our silver coins were 90% silver; from 1965-70, only halves were silver and then only 40%. Most of what I've found lately is 40%. Yesterday, I went into a new bank and asked if they had any half dollars they could sell me. There were $312 in the vault, but their policy was that I had to have an account there to buy them. Odd, but policy is policy. I told them I'd be back today, and I was. I opened a checking account I don't need then purchased the $312.50 (actual total) and walked out hopefully. In the car, I started to open rolls, and about the third roll I heard the beautiful distinct sound of silver! Each roll is $10 and probably at least half this roll was silver. I opened the rest and was nearing the end of my 31 rolls and thought, "I hope they didn't put all the silver in one roll!" No sooner was that thought thought than I heard the beautiful sound of silver again! And again! By the end of this wonderful session, I had $25 face in silver! Two Franklin halves, nine 90% Kennedys and the rest 40%. And another bank just called to tell me that another order of halves has arrived. I hope all of your days are as pleasant as this one!

Attachments

• kennedyhaul.jpg
    kennedyhaul.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Upvote 14

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Hunting!

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul! I've never had a day quite like that! A solid silver roll once tho which was an amazing feeling

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Thats dedication. To open up an account just to be able to coin roll hunt. I applaud you ser!

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great post and info shared thank you! just realized a few of the halves I have in my little safe are 40% silver. I knew I was keeping them for a reason :)

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, CRHing has become a favorite of mine.I made a friend of a Merchant teller that got stuck by a customer ordered 3 boxes and never picked them up so I took them off his hands, He was like anytime I come by he'll save me customer wrapped and not my bank either.But I have ran into the not a member=no sale.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice finds

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey