2bits awards me best find in western and eastern treasures!

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piece of eight.gif this is my first submission to western and eastern magazine and first piece of eight I ever found. I didn't know it was special and had a hard time researching it, so I sent pix to mark parker and he informed me it is a Spanish 2 bit piece of eight counterstamped by the planter's bank of new Orleans, and that they were only produced from1811-15. there was a shortage of quarters because of the war so the bank marked their own quarters using Spanish 8 reales cut into quarters.
I found the piece near a flow well next to a Victorian home here in southwest Mississippi, in Tylertown. Im glad to have plucked it from the earth when I did cause now the nice old lady that gave me permission is now deceased and the home is now a rental property which is being trashed-- so sad. I've tried detecting more there but there's just too much surface trash. You should never let that one site you like sit too long or you might pass up a great find like this.

Upvote 14

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats on your spectacular find! :icon_thumright: Must have felt delighted to learn its history from an expert.​ HH Andi

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice
icon_thumright.gif
Congratulations
occasion14.gif

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweeeeet!!!!

labradigger1

Sep 8, 2012
tucker co wv
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, mxt pro, tdi, bullseye II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AWESOME! love finding the pieces of eight. in my younger years i dug one and thought it was a piece of aluminum and threw it over the hill into the poison ivy. a few minutes later i dug another and could see the writing on it and recognized it. i have been back to that site 5 times in the winter while the ivy is dead trying to find it and can not locate it. stupid youthful mistake. never, never throw anything away until you are certain it is junk and then dispose of it properly.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow - Congratulations!!!!!!!!! :notworthy:

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome piece!

OP
OP
dfx-kevin

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks- where is your club? Mississippi is full of history for treasure hunters but we have only one club- too far for me. found one in slidel La I will attend for the first time next month.

OP
OP
dfx-kevin

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you own a dfx- what coil do you use, I'm looking to buy a bigger coil to boost depth even more- any suggestions?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread