2nd 2000 Wide, first cud, and a 1982...

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Man...this working thing really interferes with coin hunting, especially when my hours stop me from making it to the banks. Anyway, finished my latest bag, found the following:

2nd 2000 wide AM.jpg 1983 Cud.jpg

Also found a peculiar looking 1982:
S20180424_0004.jpg S20180424_0015.jpg

Too bad its the wide date... S20180424_0006.jpg

Won't lie, was nice to think I had found something major, if only for a second. Still pretty neat to have found what I figure is my first official doubled die though. Also, massive apology, just noticed the CRH logs on here, should probably have posted most of my stuff on there...

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . . just noticed the CRH logs on here, should probably have posted most of my stuff on there...

Use the logs area if you prefer, but I'm not sure that they get nearly as many views as the general forum. Keep that in mind if you are asking for input or opinions.

Personally, I never go to the Logs sub-forum so I'm glad you're posting here. I've enjoyed seeing your finds and watching the excitement. I'd rather everything post to the general forum, but I do understand the intent of the logs.

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been around a while, and used to collect coins, but I've never heard the term "cud". I pictured you chewing a mass of half-digested grass for the first time, and liking it.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wam and cud are legit. The 82 isn't. It's just plating issues. Spend it.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
The wam and cud are legit. The 82 isn't. It's just plating issues. Spend it.

Whats the best way to differentiate between doubled die and plating issues? Or, rather, how might one do so? I noticed that the letters on the outer rim (United States of America) all show doubling, as does the "E Plurbis Unum" (under certain light, the P definitely shows it), though not really on "one cent", guessing that would as well were it a DD? As always, appreciate the input, hence the reason I post on here!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With true doubling, the doubling is actually on the die. Every coin made with that die will have the same doubling. Now look at your coin. A true doubled die adds to the design, and if you visually remove the doubling what's left will be normal. If you visually remove the md on your coin elements of the design will be removed. Md takes away and a doubled die adds to the design.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread