2nd hunt of 08, things arent looking good!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
2nd hunt of '08, things aren't looking good!

I tried to sneak off last night for a hunt but Baldinboy found out and he just had to go with me. ;) (Actually I asked him to come with me cause I don't like hunting alone.) I wanted to go back to the yard where I had found the 4 silvers and the 4 wheats but it took some convincing before BB would agree to go. We might as well been detecting on a concrete parking lot! ::) :)

The first hour I hunted every signal kept coming up as iron. I dug a lot of them and most of them were nails, and a broken pair of tweezers but two were coins a quarter (65) and a penny (62). I kept resetting the beast to factory defaults but it didn't seem to help. The only thing different that I can think of is that the ground was really wet. I cut the cable/zip ties holding my coil cover on but there wasn't anything between the coil and the cover. I messed with the sensitivity, the gain, nothing helped. I felt like a novice all over again. This wasn't any fun.

Anyway after two and a half hours a few coins and some junk later I decided to convince BB to leave and go somewhere else. I walked around the side of the house where he was supposed to be and I couldn't find him. Given the condition of his infirm mind and the fact that we were right next to a busy street I began to worry. I started to walk toward the street and almost fell into a hole the size of a small mule. ::) :D I asked him what he thought he was doing and then told him I had hoped to come back to this yard in the spring. He just smiled and said he was a huntin treasure and that his XLT told him he had a silver dollar! I kicked the Beast on and ran the coil over the area and of course it told me the target was iron, but hey every target up to that point was iron! :( So I pulled the Sunray off the holder and found the nail laying on the side of the hole, yep Silver dollar there BB and I am president of the United Freaking States!!! ;D I decided to help him fill in a hole and had to promise him I would buy him some coffee and a sandwich before he would agree to leave. The signals were really crazy last night. I would get a signal pinpoint it and then use the Sunray to verify the target and it was almost always 6-7 inches to the right and behind where it pinpointed at.

We packed up and headed to an old location that we hoped would produce and I decided that I would dig everything for a while. The strangest thing about the night is that I found my best coin without even digging a hole. Good thing too because last night I might as well not have even had a detector! I was walking over to the area I wanted to start detecting and I looked down and saw a pencil laying on the ground, I collect all the little pencil ends and throw them in a bag in my detecting box, so I bent over to pick up the pencil and as I did I swept my coil off to my left and got a good tone that then went into overload. I looked down and the 1971 Kennedy Half was laying right on top of the ground. This is the Second Kennedy half I have found in a one month period of time but only the one I found last night was using a detector. After about 25 minutes of digging iron every 6 inches and one really big chunk of iron I gave that up and tried only to dig some "good signals". At 9:45 PM I told BB it was time to go cause it was getting cold and I was starting to get a sore elbow and yes my wife was going to be angry with me. Well he looks at me and drops to the ground crying "I don't wanna go home yet, it aint fair." He was making such a scene that I had to walk away for a few minutes and let him compose himself. I agreed to stay for 30 more minutes and we didn't get to leave for another hour!

All-in-all I have to say the first two hunts of '08 have been a bit of a letdown. I haven't really found a keeper yet this year! BB found two wheat pennies a 1919 and a 1935, so he didn't have a total washout. I guess I will just have to start asking more people for permission to hunt since BB won't do it!!! ;) :D

Thanks for reading and looking.

Attachments

• stilson.JPG
    stilson.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 392
  • textan.JPG
    textan.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 389
  • ch.JPG
    ch.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 392
  • flag.JPG
    flag.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 394
  • half.JPG
    half.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 391
  • sgs.JPG
    sgs.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 379
  • sgs1.JPG
    sgs1.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 378
  • chunk.JPG
    chunk.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 389
Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Re: 2nd hunt of '08, things aren't looking good!

well look at it this way, You were able to enjoy Baldingboy's company, and breath fresh air, you also were able to exercise at least one arm. LMAO

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

im sure we have all had worse days than that
cheer up
gotta take too bad with the good.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

Oh yeah I forgot to mention a couple of things. First I found three live 22 rounds you can see two of them and the round off the third in the pictures. There were 2 more in the ground that I dropped into a trash can.

Two I found a button very similar to the US button you would see on an Army dress uniform but this one said U.N. Can anyone tell me about it. I dropped it and I couldn't find it. :( Not even with my detector. I planned on going back today during the day to see if I could see it but it rained. Maybe I can go back tomorrow....

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

it was probably from a us soldier uniform that was assigned a detail for the United Nations. all id marks are to read UN while pulling United Nations duty. Only about 1/10% of all us military personnel are ever selected for service let alone being approved for that duty.

Awesome dig, I know I'd be going back

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

Sniffer said:
it was probably from a us soldier uniform that was assigned a detail for the United Nations. all id marks are to read UN while pulling United Nations duty. Only about 1/10% of all us military personnel are ever selected for service let alone being approved for that duty.

Awesome dig, I know I'd be going back

See....Mr. I WannaGoHome :'(
I tried to get you to stay and find that button. But Wa! Wa!....I wanna go hoME!! :'( :'( :'(

We were draggin like a beat old couple of dawgs though....weren't we? ;)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

I predict you fortunes will improve. :)

That Kennedy half is a nice find.

Some sites are a very tough hunt when the ground is saturated - even with turning the gain way down and having a smaller coil.

Bob

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"and almost fell into a hole the size of a small mule. I asked him what he thought he was doing and then told him I had hoped to come back to this yard in the spring."
Classic, sounds like me digging, thanks for sharing I really enjoyed it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions