mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy New Year everyone! I hope y'all aren't too buried in snow, but if you are, I hope you are warm & cozy!!
I had my 2nd knee replacement done Dec. 22, & got home on the 24th. a little too fast for me, but that's what the insurance co. gives us. so my doc was there for me with the first knee, helpful when I needed it, answered questions, just perfect as far a follow up goes. I was leery bout having the 2nd one done so close to Christmas but was assured it wouldn't be a problem. needless to say, it has been a nightmare! my doc & almost the entire staff are gone for 2 wks, without letting me know they would be gone. his backup doc refused to give me pain killers, didn't even look at my chart to see I actually had surgery. the Phys. therapists called the home health nurses called & finally I had to get the hospitals joint replacement Mgr to call to get something done. I am so angry, & feel cast aside by my doc. when he gets back, I am going to him with a MO med. society rep to call attention to the problem. my insurance paid an outrageous amount of $$ for both ops, & I feel like once the doc got the money, he just didn't care. I feel like I'm whining here, but if my experience helps anyone else from going thru the pain I did, then I'll whine some more. DON'T have surgery before a holiday!! wait, no matter what the doc says. everyone talked me into it even tho I didn't want to. listen to your gut feeling. you know best. ok that's off my chest. I am ready to recover & find some treasures. My girls got me a new rod & reel, & fishing gear for when I can get back out there. can hardly wait!!

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I watched and learned from my wifes knee surgery. When the Doc askeed when I was going to get my knee done. I told him that when he saw me crawling over his threshold ..................Bob

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Mamabear....I do sympathise with you, after knee replacements the pain can get really bad. I have to say that the aftercare I received was wonderful. I had daily home visits from a nurse until it was improved, she also gave me the right exercises to do after knee surgery. So for me our social medicine scheme has worked very well, also I might add for any other surgery that I had need for. But sadly it seems that almost all places seem to shut down for any holiday. It's a particularly long Christmas holiday over here, taking in the New Year as well. The secret of any joint surgery is movement, even a simple bending of the knee helps. It will hurt like heck, but you have to keep it mobile. If the knee becomes swollen, I was advised to put a froxen pack on it for awhile. I do hope it will soon begin to feel easier, but it will take some time. Do take care now.

U.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to say I am a firm believer in knee replacements. My first went well, & this 2nd one is fine except for the lack of communication w/ the docs. my home health nurses & the physical therapists are just about the sweetest bunch of people I have ever met, & they have worked with me trying to keep the pain in chk, & trying to get in contact with the docs. so I am not saying don't get it done, I am just saying don't do it if it is close to a holiday. & make sure your doc will be in town & reachable. I am already walking w/ just a cane, & am looking forward to being back to normal (normal? me?)
if you are having problems w/ your knees, get a good doc & don't wait. I lived with limited mobility & constant pain for 12 yrs. way to long for this girl. don't wait! life is to short.

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well basically your Doctor didn't care before the surgery either. We have become an assembly line word.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you get back to 100% real soon, mamabear. And yeah, we got the snow, more so than the last few years at this time.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hey mamabear! So glad you are up and around, so sorry you had that bad experience. thanks for sharing it though. I'm sure my husband has repalcement surgery in his future, and I will keep your story in mind. I bet you can't wait for this spring and summer. I know you are the independent sort, and must be soooo ready to get back in the woods! happy hunting :icon_thumleft:

lisa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread