2nd Regiment Kentucky Militia 1807 document

Sticks1

Jan 12, 2010
I recently purchased at a second hand store a double sided glass framed document. This document is from Governor Christopher Greenup giving the rank of "Ensign" into the (looks like) 2nd Regiment of the Kentucky Militia. The document is dated February 9, 1807. It is signed by Governor Christopher Greenup and Secretary of State John Rowan. It appears that the individual assigned the rank of Ensign is Montjoy King. On the reverse is a hand written swearing in of Montjoy King on May 15, 1807 in Nelson County by William Crutcher (?). There are 3 initials after William Crutcher's name, the first is illegible. (?PM) I would like the military/militia experts to let me know what the initials after William Crutcher's name stand for, what the rank of "Ensign" would have been in the Militia, and who William Crutcher would have been. There is also attached on a separate small piece of paper the Seal of the State of Kentucky on the front. I believe they were gathering men for the militia to protect the Ohio River against Aaron Burr's so called military action against the US. Any information on this document would be greatly appreciated. Since this only cost me very little financially, my guess is that it isn't worth much more then a hundred dollars or so, but to me it really was a pretty cool find.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• DSCN2876.JPG
    DSCN2876.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN2865.JPG
    DSCN2865.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN2862.JPG
    DSCN2862.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN2874.JPG