2nd Time Around.

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have now gone over all of the places that I have permission to detect at least once. Any tips, tweaks, veteran advice for the second time around is appreciated. I'm using an AT Pro if that helps for machine specific tips. I want to actively keep detecting while searching for new places without feeling like I'm wasting my time. Thanks for all replies.

Upvote 0

davidfl

Jun 23, 2011
florida
Detector(s) used
cz7apro cz20 cz21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have found items in places that i have hunted over and over again, sometimes eight or ten times. if a certain location is convenient to stop at, why not. very rarely do i find nothing, in fact a cant remember ever finding nothing. i like my headphone time, poking around in the ground is fun, so its never a waste of time. happy hunting david

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I go slower and dig more with multiple visits. Finds can be a surprise after a soaking rain. Some day when the snow melts i,ll be hitting a well hunted park to take advantage of the wet soil. If targets scarce iffy signals get dug.(not that they shouldn't,anyway). H.h.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I also dont mind rehunting a site. Hit the edges a little harder....against the wall, along the fence, under the bushes... places you may have slacked on earlier. I also like to change direction... if you walked it north/south the first time...try east/west next time. As mentioned slow down a little and dig more... it may suprise you.

OP
OP
Jeremy76

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the good info. I learn something new everyday reading this forum. Lots of MDing wisdom here.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the advice posted above Is great [heed it] also think out side the box ,search an area from diffrent angles ,dig most targets if you feel like it ,move fallen tree limbs and other debris out of the way if possible & most of all DONT GIVE UP AND ENJOY YOUR SELF.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted some areas 50 times and still find good stuff. The ground conditions change all the time. As mentioned, try different grid patterns and dig sounds you would have passed up on before.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hunted the yard around my 1950's vintage house dozens of times. Just when I think I've found everything, out pops another wheat penny or another cool relic. When I really get the itch and don't have time to go anywhere else, I run out to the yard right after work for some fun.

If you have exclusive permission to hunt these places, I would suggest going through and digging everything you detect. Sometimes those pull tabs and nails are masking out other good targets. An example; I have been hunting this old baseball field near my house (city park) at least once a week for most of last summer/fall/ and a few times this year. The ground was an absolute mess of pull tabs, can tabs, bottle caps, clad coins, and garbage. I picked a small section that experiences the most activity behind the dugouts, and dug every target for weeks with no discrimination. A few weeks after I started cleaning out the junk, in an area that I thought had been picked clean, my AT Pro got a weak signal about 8" down. What I found was two 1940s wheat pennies that I had otherwise gone right over several times before. Maybe next time I go, I'll find that silver dime that is lingering deep down there that was once covered by those pull tabs and bottle caps.

That's the attraction of this hobby to me...the thrill of the hunt.

OP
OP
Jeremy76

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hunted the yard around my 1950's vintage house dozens of times. Just when I think I've found everything, out pops another wheat penny or another cool relic. When I really get the itch and don't have time to go anywhere else, I run out to the yard right after work for some fun.

If you have exclusive permission to hunt these places, I would suggest going through and digging everything you detect. Sometimes those pull tabs and nails are masking out other good targets. An example; I have been hunting this old baseball field near my house (city park) at least once a week for most of last summer/fall/ and a few times this year. The ground was an absolute mess of pull tabs, can tabs, bottle caps, clad coins, and garbage. I picked a small section that experiences the most activity behind the dugouts, and dug every target for weeks with no discrimination. A few weeks after I started cleaning out the junk, in an area that I thought had been picked clean, my AT Pro got a weak signal about 8" down. What I found was two 1940s wheat pennies that I had otherwise gone right over several times before. Maybe next time I go, I'll find that silver dime that is lingering deep down there that was once covered by those pull tabs and bottle caps.

That's the attraction of this hobby to me...the thrill of the hunt.

Good info, thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread