Scorpius

Greenie
Jun 16, 2019
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2nd time out. Used park 1 setting. Didn’t dig too much trash. Dumped what I did nearby in the can. Went to the playground of a local elementary school.
$2.06 at this rate I’m making about .75 per hour lol.

Had fun with my older son and got practice in for the beach in few more weeks.
So what I learned today. Or think I learned.

Short really solid tones over my sweep seemed to indicate a worthy dig more often than not.

Small pinpoints likely a coin, long could be on its side at an angle. But still small

Longer chirpy tones or lots of multiple beeps appear to indicate aluminum gun wrappers etc

If I recall correcty

Pennies around 11-13 sometimes a 9/10

Nickels around 17/18

Quarters seemed to hit anywhere 28-30

Found a bullet case, too bad I don’t reload .40 cal. Recycle bin.

Little fake ring. Sigh

Cut heart zipper maybe my daughter can make something with it.

Going to old historical mill park tomorrow :-)

0E08CDF4-8BDE-42A7-B2B7-A6EDE711E1CC.jpeg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the nickels that should read 11-13, with zinc cents reading 21 and less depending on corrosion, and copper cents in the mid 20's. You'll get the hang of it, keep swinging! :icon_thumright:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the nickels that should read 11-13, with zinc cents reading 21 and less depending on corrosion, and copper cents in the mid 20's. You'll get the hang of it, keep swinging! :icon_thumright:

Yes, and don't get too focused on the numbers, especially beach hunting. I mean really, are you going to not recover a dime vs. a quarter. Focus on the quality of the tones. Nearby targets and ground conditions, can affect target ID reliability, especially at depth. Round targets like coins and rings will give a sweeter tone regardless of the tone ID.

Regarding the beach, be aware, that if you start ignoring pull tabs (TID 11-12 14-16) then you are going to also bypass likely gold jewelry as well (just a cruel trick the detecting gods decided to play on us). Rusty bottle caps may sound good with some high tones but raise the coil or go to all metal mode and you will likely also hear iron grunts and a lot of variability in the target ID. However, variable ID's also appear when you put your coil over a multi-denominational coin spill so scoop and learn. Try to scoop everything at the beach if you can because target recovery is quicker than land hunting and look for clues as to where you are most likely going to find . People are creatures of habit - towel lines, concession areas, and beach entrance areas are where people drop stuff into the sand. Tide lines, especially areas where the sand is significantly eroded away (called "cuts") are prime places to focus your efforts. Get to the beach at ebb tide (after peak high tide) and follow the tide out. Most jewelry is lost in the water where the cold water causes fingers to shrink and rings to fall off or where jewelry is stripped of people by the surf. If you are hitting a row of zincolns deposited by surf, get off that row because the heavy stuff is not there. If you start finding deep quarters in the wet sand then focus on that area, because gold is also likely in that layer.

Keep getting swing hours in while you can now to keep learning the Equinox and you will collect some good stuff at the beach.

HTH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you need to dig anything non-ferrous at the beach, and sometimes ferrous sounds too. Depending on your degree of iron mineralization, sometimes you will get an iffy non-ferrous sound (or even a solid one) and after the first scoop or two, the target will either disappear, or turn to a dead iron sound. Don't give up! Take a few more scoops until the target is out of the hole. Sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised! I prefer to arrive 2-3 hours before low to chase the tide out. I then stay until 1-2 after low if the finds are good enough.

OP
OP
S

Scorpius

Greenie
Jun 16, 2019
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 more workdays and a wake up!!!! Then it’s off to the fun in the sun and beach. Guess I’ll be skipping dinners as tide charts appear to go low tide at around dusk or thereafter.
Can’t wait to hit easy digging and see what all I can find.
So. Any recommended mods to the below plan?

Start up like they say and use the basic ground balance they show in the startup.
Beach one on the dry sand and probably the wet.
Beach mode 2 when I hit the water or where waters running into my search. I’ll stick with 20 for depth and bump up to 25 if it doesn’t squeak at it and adjust up/down accordingly.

Any settings you’d adjust? Been mostly sticking to the field / park 1/2 around home on land and getting used to the sounds a bit. Still I dig pretty much everything at this point and figure I will for my first year probably. Right now I only avoid things I know are way to long or wide to be coins or rolls of coins.
Then there are the crazy sounds that aren’t deep and aren’t clear either. Typically seems to be some sorta junk.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lately, I've been using Park 1 in the dry sand....and even out into the wet sand if it stays stable. I seem to get better depth in that mode. Salt water, and sometimes in the wet sand, I use Beach 2 for the most part. I also hunt in all metal (push the horseshoe button). I run the sensitivity up as high as I can and still keep it stable......usually 20 in the water and most of the time in the wet sand. Dry sand, I can usually go a bit higher, but, rarely make it to 24. Dig everything non-ferrous! Even those pesky 1 to 12 numbers. Sure, you'll scoop tons of foil and small aluminum, but, occasionally (like I did last night) you'll find small gold. My last night find rang in at a weak, but repeatable, 3 on the Nox. It was a small 14K gold ring. :icon_thumright: The only other change from default that I make, is sometimes change the recovery rate depending on the amount of trash. Everything else stays stock unless I run into some real difficult ground.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Scorpius

Greenie
Jun 16, 2019
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lately, I've been using Park 1 in the dry sand....and even out into the wet sand if it stays stable. I seem to get better depth in that mode. Salt water, and sometimes in the wet sand, I use Beach 2 for the most part. I also hunt in all metal (push the horseshoe button). I run the sensitivity up as high as I can and still keep it stable......usually 20 in the water and most of the time in the wet sand. Dry sand, I can usually go a bit higher, but, rarely make it to 24. Dig everything non-ferrous! Even those pesky 1 to 12 numbers. Sure, you'll scoop tons of foil and small aluminum, but, occasionally (like I did last night) you'll find small gold. My last night find rang in at a weak, but repeatable, 3 on the Nox. It was a small 14K gold ring. :icon_thumright: The only other change from default that I make, is sometimes change the recovery rate depending on the amount of trash. Everything else stays stock unless I run into some real difficult ground.

Isn’t default like up to 3 is removed when you have the horseshoe off? Hmmm hadn’t read yet anyone using park mode on sand. So what’s the depth like for beach 1/2 vs park?
I’m not sure how much will be out there on the beach as it’s not very crowded. Hoping its not very hunted.
Look for a new thread. I’ll be posting my results daily and any issues / discoveries.

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What beach are you going to?
Being new at this as well, like VFerrari said, dig everything
Plus I tend to leave my iron discrimination turned off. Otherwise you miss the tent stakes and matchbox cars etc.
Of course you will be digging a lot of beer cans etc
Good luck and have fun

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The numbers can lie. I had an on edge quarter hit 30 in one direction and 2 in the other direction. This thing was perfectly vertical. Only an inch deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread