2nd to last hunt for 2007, no coins but some relics

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to stress test my walking ability today and hiked abit to a remote homestead that two years ago rewarded my son and I with a NJ and CT copper, King George and Large Cents and one seated dime. It really has been a producer of buttons, with at least 40 or more from the site and I still got one more today. The last three hunts at this place has not produced any old coins, just newer ones dropped by hunters.

Pictured is a couple of Memorials, a handle part of an old pewter spoon, some ceramics, piece of broken bottle and possibly a very old screw and the most intriguing find there was the thimble believe it or not.

I have over 35 thimbles and all assorted shapes,sizes, squished ones, rotten ones, cracked ones and even a nice assortment of ones not damaged, but I never found one with the indentations like are on this shorter than normal Thimble.

I checked a few sites dealing with thimbles and I am still not sure if this is mid to late 17th century or more likely early to mid 18th century, the design of the indentations and the slight lip are date indicators, along with the shape and I just have not found a match for it.

My last item on the right side was the fooler of the day, I was walking the 1 mile back to the truck when I saw a saw clearing off the road and gave it a quick scan and got a beautiful reading that indicated a large copper to me. NOPE, I could not believe I dug a 50 Cal shell casing where I did. This site is way over 20 miles from the aerial gunnery range at Millville Airport in 1942-1945! I do think it was fired from one of the P-47's that were stationed there, but it must have been a massive Ooops squeezing the trigger that far away. :)

One more hunt for 2007, not sure where WE are going, but I am hoping my son comes up with a good idea, if he doesn't than we will hit the homestead where I just got the 1724 KGI the other day.

Don

Attachments

• Dec30thSaylorfinds.jpg
    Dec30thSaylorfinds.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 304
  • thimble.jpg
    thimble.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 299
  • Thimbledown.jpg
    Thimbledown.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 302
  • Thimbletop.jpg
    Thimbletop.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 301
  • 50Cal.jpg
    50Cal.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
At least you got out some, Liberty Cap in SJ. :P :D You will find a coppa tomorrow or maybe a Spanish wilver. ;) :D ;D

Good luck!

BDD...Kirk

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsyheart said:
Great job on that thimble....you probally have this site,but I had it saved on my computer because of its great definitions
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/thimble.html

Yes Gypsy, I have had that page opened for a couple hours, it intrigued me enough to get out all of my thimbles and sort by type of indentation patterns. Found out I have approximately 6 of the honeycomb designs, a few of the steel topped ones, couple Aluminum ones, and a lot of the standard ones from the mid to late 1800's, but I really do not see the indentation pattern of the one I found today, well at least I am not sure. I do know, as I stated, I do not have another one that matches the design out of approx 35 thimbles found.

The site found was occupied from mid 1700's to sometime into the early mid 1800's than abandoned.

Don

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stuff happen's all the time....1942 is right....Cool Stuff!!!

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Nice Don. That thimble is kinda different looking. Happy New Year to you and yours.
Cya,Mike

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Sounds like that was a big ooops!! I love the thimble, is the button a plain front? Keep digging, can't wait to see what else you pull from there.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Wonder where the business end of that shell casing went ::)
Great looking thimble Don good luck on the ID, Happy New Year and good luck in '08
HH
Glenn

woj

Jun 29, 2005
En Jay
Detector(s) used
DFX
Bullets from fighters tend to find schools down in SNJ...especially LEH Intermediate, especially from f-16's....also there is nothing like an errant flare from an F-16 to spark up some pinebarrens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions