2yr Silver drought ends...

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
I returned to an old homestead early Saturday morning not sure if it had been torn down during the week. When I arrived I found the house still there. The branches from a previous wind storm had pulled out of the way, and the grass had been cut. Hmmm... just what I needed! More exposed ground to hunt on my 2nd trip to this site. I started in the rear of the house, which had been covered in limbs... now the fresh ground was exposed, so I gave it a try... to find that the mower operator chopped up a few reams of aluminum foil. The front was littered with signals making it tough to hunt. I moved to the front of the grand house. The low grass gave way to a better search. I started hitting some clad. quarter, penny, penny, dime throughout the small front yard. I was surprised to find nothing old in the front area... and swung around to the front side where I found an old Chinese coin and some wheats the week before.
This time I really came up with no goodies. So I moved to side yard which stretched a good hundred yards in a triangular shaped tract of land. I had found a couple wheats on this side the week before. I re-searched the ground again, going a bit slower than my last trip and much further from the house. Found a horseshoe. and some more pennies. I was happy to get coins on most of my signals. Most of them being 1/2" or less in depth. Next I locked in on a good signal, a 79-81 and 3" deep. Dug it, hoping "Come on silver but I'll take a wheat too, but I'd prefer a silver"... Emptied the hole onto a drop cloth and found the signal now moved to my dirt pile. I figured "not seeing any silver, it's likely a dark wheat mixed in the brown soil." After poking around with the bullseye, saw that reeded edge... picked a 1938 Mercury dime.
Proceeded to find a closeby signal, turned out to be an 1882 IHP. Worked back around the house, finding a wheat on the opposite side, and then reworked the front, clearing a few dozens pennies/dimes from the turf. Found one more wheat by large tree in the front. Concluded the morning (now nearly noon) with some good finds. So I hit the road finally breaking my drought on silver coins.

2 wheats were 1944, and 1945.

Upvote 0

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
:D Bjorn: Does wonders for your morale when you see Silver, doesn't it? Sounds like the site will produce! Good Hunting!

Joe 8)

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Great digs!!

I think I'd go back again and again until I started coming home empty handed. There's GOT to be more silver there. If you're pulling wheats and Indians.............gotta be silver too!

Continued good luck

Roger

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Sounds good. Love finding those mercs and IH's. Mercs come a lot easier to me than IH's. Keep hunting that place until signals get very sparse.

Mirage

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the finds ;D....."silver drought" I like that :D :D :D

I still remember the exact spot where I found my first IH and Merc! They are good finds, keep swinging before ole man winter sets in and thanks for sharing your finds with us.

HH-NS

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on ending your "drought" hopefully now you will be deluged with silver...:):)

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way....I'm working on a 15 year GOLD COIN DROUGHT!!!! :D

OP
OP
Bjorn_MD

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
Thanks you guys. I will have to hit it again soon. I was definitely getting fewer hits. The most productive area was drying up fast.

I definitely hope it will not be another 2 years, that's for sure. I must admit I was unable to get out hunting much so that had a lot to do with it. But it can sure get depressing when you are getting skunked. Nothing like an exciting find or two to really get you psyched to go out again and again.

Yes, the Indian head was icing, that's for sure. I didn't check the date in the field, so I saved some surprise for later. I thought... let's see 38 merc, 18 wheat... probably a 1900-ish IHP. So I was happy to see one from the 1880's.

I'll give it another go this weekend. I know there's more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread