3 40%ers and 2 cameo proofs *UPDATE*

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through a $500 box of halves this weekend and only found heartbreak and dispair. :( When I dumped at the bank ths morning I asked if they had any halves. I was given $15 in loose halves. When I got to work I went through them in the parking lot. I found 2 1967's, a '69, an '88 cameo proof, and an '87 cameo proof. :hello2: I also found over 3 pounds of copper pennies. So I guess I had a decent weekend. At least it's the best weekend I've had since I started this hobby. Can anyone tell me about what those proofs might be worth? Oh, I also bought a sterling siver ring with an 18K gold accent piece for 75 cents at a yard sale. ;D

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 3 40%ers and 2 cameo proofs

I do not think the proofs are worth much over face value, I would maybe say $0.60??? But, I keep those proofs just for fun, it's always nice to get a proof coin.

You can go to coun shows and get proof sets for a slight premium over face value- last time I went, picked up a 1969 proof set for $5... has a 40% silver half dollar in it "1969-s" which is currently valued at almost $6 alone.

hh!

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

Buff is right. If you found them in roll searching they can no longer be cameo either. Unless they are very rare coins any silver you find in roll searching will most likely not be worth more than it's silver value.

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

usandthem said:
I went through a $500 box of halves this weekend and only found heartbreak and dispair. :( When I dumped at the bank ths morning I asked if they had any halves. I was given $15 in loose halves. When I got to work I went through them in the parking lot. I found 2 1967's, a '69, an '88 cameo proof, and an '87 cameo proof. :hello2: I also found over 3 pounds of copper pennies. So I guess I had a decent weekend. At least it's the best weekend I've had since I started this hobby. Can anyone tell me about what those proofs might be worth? Oh, I also bought a sterling siver ring with an 18K gold accent piece for 75 cents at a yard sale. ;D

88s - $5 PF-65
87s - $5 PF-65

So maybe a couple bucks if they are in descent shape..

OP
OP
U

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I took my two proof halves and my proof dime to the coin shop. I got $2 each for the halves and $1.50 for the dime. I took the money and pitched in another $2.50 and bought an almost mint 1964 P quarter. So I got a nice $7.25 quarter for $3.60. I was pleased.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since cameo's from circ aren't worth anything I hang on to them for cool factor but a 87 cameo is only worth $5??? Wow the 87 regular is hard to come by but a deep cameo in 87, i would think it's worth a little more but it's just about strictly silver these days. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread