3 cent love token and a few more goodies

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been awhile since I posted anything so I figured I should get off my ass and do so. I was hitting an old park I like to go to that is no longer in use. I have found many interesting items here and continue to pluck treasure from one area in particular. This area is about 50 feet in diameter and I have pulled some cool finds including Musket balls, a large cent and more. Here is what I got over the weekend. The 3 cent silver coin was down about 8-9 inches. I thought it was a piece of aluminum at first. It was in that range ( I am using a Tesoro Tejon ) with the 8X11 DD coil. This DD coil gets down deep and is better then the stock in my opionion , When you can detect a thin small silver coin like a 3 cent piece you know your getting deep. This was my first 3 cent silver coin and when I flipped it over to see the back I was surprised to see it was a love token.

I have found a 1853 seated quarter in the past that was a love token so to find another on a 3 cent piece was a big surprise. It says Union cricket club on the back. The only info I can find was a union cricket club in Philadelphia started in 1843. The coin wasnt made until 1851 but the club was around for awhile so I am thinking that someone must have belonged to the club and had it made. By the way I am in RI so it must have done a little traveling to get to where I found it. The 1887 Indian head was found at the same place ( I cleaned it using an xacto knife under a microscope ) Its not a valuable coin so I like to practice cleaning coins with this method when soaking and tooth picking wont work.

The pin says W&h co on the back, the front is in a foreign language and for the life of me cant figure what it says
BNTA KaTTIIa BNTA at least that's what it looks like.

The 1935 merc and 1936 buffalo's where found in the same hole at a different location.

1887 indian head.jpg 1935 mercury.jpg two 1936 buff.jpg 3 cent.jpg W&Hco.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 22

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NOW THERE IS A KODAK MOMENT .... NICE....

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 3-cent is extremely cool, can't wait to hear more about it and the pin.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a winter research project for the pin. Great 3 center!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and pics. That tiny little love token is killer

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bunch of fantastic finds. Love that background for them too. Congrats!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one AWESOME love token! Its very uncommon to see them on that denomination. Typically they were made with dimes the most, and then quarters. I'd actually prefer to find a modified coin as a love token than just a regular coin... very personal relic you have there. That is a great find :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Getting a 3 cent love token is really cool find and I've never seen one posted up before, congrats on the awesome find!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That love token is just killer... a little "concentrated" piece of shiny coolness.

Congrats on making me jealous!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's with all of the "CRICKETS" lately? Your token is outstanding, congrats! It would go well with Eastcoasthunter21's 1800's cricket buckle found a few days ago! Sub 8-)

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That was an awesome hunt! That 3 cent piece is beyond cool!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, congrats on that beautiful love token/3 center. :hello2: I have never seen a love token made from one. Interesting sports pin, too. WTG :icon_thumleft:

HH

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cools finds and cool presentation. Thanks for showing those beauties.

OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt the same way at first, being a love token makes it more personal but now I still need to find another 3 cent silver that's not been altered.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread