Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today I got out with HEAVYMETALNUT on a WINDY colonial hunt. We decided to try one of his sites that he hasn't spent a large amount of time ....A nice center hearth colonial cellar hole. It was pretty tough today with the snow but I managed to pull a nice handful of keepers. The mercury dime was a freak show.....automatically I thought capped bust dime or seated.....but look at her in all her 1918 glory. ;D Then I decided to hunt the old road....and I got a nice deep signal on the T2...it was reading low but it ended up being my first copper of the day. I was hoping this coin to be a William and Mary which would finnaly land me a spot in the 1600's club..lol...The rest of the afternoon was pretty good, I managed a nice Connecticut and King George III a broken ornate shoebuckle....couple musket balls, buttons, and a brass pull....The targets here you REALLY have to work hard for. Dave also did well....All in all I had an awesome day. Thanks for lookin folks!

Attachments

• IMG_5980_edited-1.JPG
    IMG_5980_edited-1.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_5981_edited-1.JPG
    IMG_5981_edited-1.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_5984_edited-1.JPG
    IMG_5984_edited-1.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_5985_edited-1.JPG
    IMG_5985_edited-1.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 496
Upvote 0

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: 3 copper day. Finnaly 1600's? William and Mary may know.

Both you guys had an awesome day!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good digs!!! Love the old coppers. Love it all.

L

lost hunter

Nice finds :thumbsup:

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick

Your copper coin does not appear to be a match for either a British or Irish half penny, of William & Mary. :icon_scratch:

From the details that are visible, I believe you have a French Sol of Louis 15th (XV). The copper Sol and Half Sol of Louis XV was minted between 1719 and 1774. Note the reverse detail, of a crowned shield, with three Fluer-de-Lis within the shield. The Fluer-de-Lis (Flower of Louis) has been a symbol of France for many centuries.

More specifically, your examples appears to be the "Older Head" variety, minted from 1767 to 1773.
The obverse encircling lettering reads: LUDOV - XV / D - GRATIA :read2:

CC Hunter

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

that wind was scary at times huh? 40mph and we are in the woods like 2 knuckleheads :tard: what a hunt you had buddy! congrats on a great copper day. see? hunches do pay off :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CC Hunter said:
Your copper coin does not appear to be a match for either a British or Irish half penny, of William & Mary. :icon_scratch:

From the details that are visible, I believe you have a French Sol of Louis 15th (XV). The copper Sol and Half Sol of Louis XV was minted between 1719 and 1774.

More specifically, your examples appears to be the "Older Head" variety, minted from 1767 to 1773.

CC Hunter
I was afraid of that...I just read further into it. ANd I'm pretty sure you nailed it.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CC Hunter said:

From the details that are visible, I believe you have a French Sol of Louis 15th (XV). The copper Sol and Half Sol of Louis XV was minted between 1719 and 1774.

CC Hunter

Without a doubt not a W&M and it looks like CC Hunter has nailed it.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
that wind was scary at times huh? 40mph and we are in the woods like 2 knuckleheads :tard: what a hunt you had buddy! congrats on breakin into the 1600's. see? hunches do pay off :thumbsup:
Ahh...jumped the gun thinkin this was a William coin....it's a dag gum croissant.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
CC Hunter said:

CC Hunter

Without a doubt not a W&M and it looks like CC Hunter has nailed it.
Yeah I have a strong desire to find a 17th century coin and start seeing things that aren't there.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffy, ain't it good to have friends like HM.

You guys cleaned up today.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
Great day at the hole :headbang: cool to see a different copper pop up :thumbsup:
Yeah...but i was really hoping it was a william....back to the drawing board.

U

umrgolf

Sniffy said:
umrgolf said:
Great day at the hole :headbang: cool to see a different copper pop up :thumbsup:

not a bunch of 1600's stuff out there, but its there somewhere.. keep flipping that dirt around :laughing7:

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
Sniffy said:
umrgolf said:

not a bunch of 1600's stuff out there, but its there somewhere.. keep flipping that dirt around :laughing7:
The area we were in was settled in the 1600's...so my imagination started goin crazy i guess.

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
1600's coins and relics are indeed a challenge to find in America. Even in areas where the history goes back nearly 400 years, the earliest sites are often obscure and overlooked. From experience, most of my own 1600's copper coins and silver cobs, came from sites that were separate from the more active later Colonial sites. Watch for sites where flat buttons are rarely found, and vent-hole two piece, or solder seamed buttons are the only ones on occasion. Also small shoe buckles, and a scarcity of fine copper and brass items, as well as rarely any pewter, etc.. A virgin 1600's or early 1700's site is vastly different than a site from a century later. Often it can be the assumption that an early site is already hunted and picked over, or the occupants were too poor to have anything of value, therefor relic hunters often move right on to easier pickens. :wink: The clues are out there, and they are sometimes small and rather quiet.

Study the signs of what might be different about the earliest sites, and be ready to zero in on the slightest clues. Best of luck to you! :icon_thumright:

CC Hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread