3 Days detecting, first, last and today...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last, first and today’s hunt of the year. It is frozen hard here, yesterday was 20F/-6.6C and today was just a little warmer if you can say that at these temps, LOL. I have been doing some researching, exploring and forest detecting. Found a few good signals in the forest that I could not dig as it was frozen but most of the forest floor I’m able to dig, junk that is. Explored a few beer/vegetable cellars around a castle built in 1107, didn’t go too far into them. I called my detecting buddy but he is down with the flu chewing on antibiotics. There is a maze of cellars at one point at the base of this castle, looks like a long hallway along about 10 cellar rooms. Most of it is caved in. I remember climbing through the caved in parts into intact rooms many years ago but never detected them. I may give it a try as long as I have someone on the outside just in case. This picture is inside a beer cellar, not a pretty site with the trash, most do not have any trash in them, and the front or topsoil of this beer cellar slid off the rock and has mostly blocked the entrance.
2Jan09Beercell1.jpg

The entrance to a well preserved beer cellar, these cellars are 800-900 years old.
2Jan09Beercell2E.jpg

I walked into the first room of this beer cellar, very dark, this is the picture with a flash of the second room, must have over exposed.
2Jan09Beercell2.jpg

I found this whatsit New Years Eve.
2Jan09What1.jpg

Another view.
2Jan09What2.jpg

The manufacturers trade mark on the whatsit.
2Jan09What3.jpg

Found a small wooded area with original cart roads today coming off the castle. There are three roads, one a little higher than the other running parallel to each other. I did not expect to find the cart roads although, I was looking for them so I did not have my camera and it was a bit of a walk to get into the wooded area. I found 2/3 of a horse shoe, more like a pony shoe as it is small. I hope that means good luck as I could use some, LOL. Here’s the horse shoe and a small locket piece I found New Years Eve with that whatsit. I found a small 2” aluminum screw top can New Years Day that had nothing in it. The finds are not great but it is fun getting out! HH, Mike
2Jan09Horseshu.jpg

Upvote 0

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
Is it an karbid-lamp (spelling- not sure of English name).. During ww2 i know a lot of different types of "karbid" lamps where used. And maybe the name "Germania" indicates it is produced during during the war years?

Maybe the cellar has been used for bomb-shelter?

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
the translation of the bottom part of the maker's mark on your whatsit is "chemnitz spring". Town in Germany?
I think it is some kind of lamp as well.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pics and finds Mike. I'd be real careful, even with someone on the outside. A cave in would be fatal for sure. Take care, and warm until springs arrives :D Ron

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
900-year old cellar holes from castles :o. . . THAT, is very cool :thumbsup:

I'm lucky when I find a 50-year old cinder block foundation.

Have a GREAT 2009!
watercolor

S

seger98

Mike that looks like an awesome place to dig, Is that abandoned? I'd be back there ASAP!

Chris

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice lamp mike, restorable or not? good luck with the site

tinpan

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! A few people IDed the whatsit as a carbide type lamp. This was probably from WWII as I found it close to a defensive position the Germans used. I'll have to go back and see if the other part is there. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread