3 dollar bills

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a large woodchip playground located in the city park in my hometown. I love detecting this place occasionally because it always produces some good amounts of clad and other goodies.

Anyway, this morning I arrived there early before the kiddies and had been detecting a few minutes, when digging a dime I looked up and noticed a young woman and a little girl watching me. I said "hello" and the woman said "hello" back and smiled. I finished retreiving the dime and continued on detecting.

About a minute later I turned around and didn't see them anywhere. As I made my way back around to the spot where we had said hello I noticed 3 dollar bills lying on the ground. Now, I know they were not there when I was digging that dime. They had to have been put there by the woman and her daughter.

I looked around again and no one was in sight. How could they have gone that quickly? Why did they put 3 dollars on the ground? Did they think I was destitute? Just weird.

But....I have three dollar bills now along with a handfull of clad. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Henry2

May 27, 2011
Hey nothing wrong with that, I would rather pick up bills instead of clad any day :laughing7: :laughing7:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tot-lots are strange and wonderful places, full of whimsy and mystery.
And the chips would keep them warm.
Carl

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Tot-lots are strange and wonderful places, full of whimsy and mystery.
And the chips would keep them warm.
Carl

Your replies are always refreshing Carl. ;D :thumbsup:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a three dollar bill......well there was this one time in Provincetown...... :laughing9:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Go there much more often. Wear shabbier clothing, get a cheap-looking detector. Shave less often.

Maybe you can turn this into a community event!

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Go there much more often. Wear shabbier clothing, get a cheap-looking detector. Shave less often.

Maybe you can turn this into a community event!

Good idea! It could be a promising entrepreneurial endeavor. ;D

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAD SOME KIDS THROW OVER 4 DOLLARS IN CHANGE AT ME WHILE DETECTING ONE TIME. I TOLD THEM TO KEEP THROWING CHANGE AFTER THE FIRST QUARTER LANDED NEAR ME, AND THE IDIOTS LISTENED.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH KIDS THESE DAYS, AND THEIR PARENTS?

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't hit the daughter/mother too bad. Perhaps the daughter thought that you had to do this to have money,
and her mom went along with her. Seems like they were two well-meaning individuals who were more than happy
to share a little of what they had with someone whom they thought had less than them.
DO WE HAVE A BANNER SPOT FOR THOSE WHO HELP US? Joking about that last sentance.
But, serious about the first two. Seems like some folks whom all of us would want as friends.
Good hunt. If you don't want the 3$, then pass it on to someone who needs it. (Don't give it to any homeless person
you see....but, might buy a homeless person a hamburger.)

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
Don't hit the daughter/mother too bad. Perhaps the daughter thought that you had to do this to have money,
and her mom went along with her. Seems like they were two well-meaning individuals who were more than happy
to share a little of what they had with someone whom they thought had less than them.
DO WE HAVE A BANNER SPOT FOR THOSE WHO HELP US? Joking about that last sentance.
But, serious about the first two. Seems like some folks whom all of us would want as friends.
Good hunt. If you don't want the 3$, then pass it on to someone who needs it. (Don't give it to any homeless person
you see....but, might buy a homeless person a hamburger.)

It's an amazing phenomena.

Going through the parks in decent clothes with a detector worth a thousand or more and folks think your
down and out.

Love it when they seed my path :thumbsup:

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Similar things happened to me too. A curious woman asked what I was doing and then said, " I have some change in my car." She was very nice. I told her that I do this for fun and it's a hobby.

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what she doesn't know is you're swinging a $500+ metal detector lol

Lloydd

Jun 22, 2004
Lewiston, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal. Whites DFX, Garrett 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl Don't know if I told you about a morning in Denver, I was walking (without a detector) through a parking lot next to a Starbucks. I found a couple pennies and picked them up and as I walked out of the lot, a lady drove in and called me over to her car. When I arrived she asked if I would like some coffee and handed me the cup that she had just bought and wished me a good day. I thanked her for her generosity and she drove away, guess she thought I was in need, nice to know there are people like that.
Lloyd

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GaRebel1861 said:
Maybe they accidentally dropped it?

I suppose that is possible. I wish they would have stayed around so I could have possibly returned it to them. Would have made my day! :icon_sunny:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lakemonster and I call that "magic money." Recently, we found $115 in twenties, tens and fives, in and along the edge of some tall weeds. These had been there for some time as they appeared weather worn, although, all were new style bills. No idea how or why they appeared where they did.
(I found the first ten, then LM finds two twenties and two fives. When all was done, he beat me by about $25....but, it was all good!!)

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I had the same thing happen to me. 3 dollars and a sweater. I took the sweater to the rec center and described the lady and the daughter. The manager said they were killed in an auto accident accident exactly one year ago. Strange things happen in this world. Ok, so I am a idea poacher. And halloween is over for 2 weeks now. I will now remove the mask.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
High Plains Digger said:
I had the same thing happen to me. 3 dollars and a sweater. I took the sweater to the rec center and described the lady and the daughter. The manager said they were killed in an auto accident accident exactly one year ago. Strange things happen in this world. Ok, so I am a idea poacher. And halloween is over for 2 weeks now. I will now remove the mask.

Now, that's funny......I don't care who ya' are!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread