jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took him to a Different location today.
I warned him the site was Hammered (Not Hunted out, just Hammered :laughing7: )

first the History.

at least 188 years ago this area used to be the Schwalm farm

by 1875

Untitled.jpg

M. Barke lived here

later in the 1800's

In the late 1800's, the Joel Koppenhaver family and later the family of his son Newton, lived here.

On June 23, 1890 the Park Association was formed &
with a lease from the Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron Company started buying Tracts from the land owners. On the 20th of May 1920, they leased additional lands on the same tract. These areas were to be used exclusively for picnics and other outdoor amusements.

In 1920 the Park Association granted the right to use the land east along the Creek as a Boy Scout Camp. The Boy Scouts of America were formed in 1910. The exact start date of this Boy Scout Troop is not known, but occurred between 1910 and 1920. they named their camp "Mamanowatam" which is still the current name. Several local Dutch people say the name came from the saying "Mama don't want them". The troop was chartered under the Indian Run District.

1938.jpg

1958.jpg

Untitledb.jpg

The first ball diamond was located north of the Eating House. The baseball clubs were later permitted to use the field where the present diamond is located. In 1922, a clay infield was put in, with clay being hauled from the Rausch Gap. A grandstand was erected with a seating capacity for several hundred people. Because of deterioration and lack of upkeep it became unsafe and was razed in 1967. Boxing matches were held around 1924 in front of the grandstand. In 1925 a dam was constructed on Pine Creek to provide for swimming and canoeing in summer and ice-skating during the winter months.
Home Coming celebrations or "Old Home Week" as it was called were annual affairs during the 20's and early 30's. Entertainment for these affairs were the local Band, home talent plays and minstrel shows. Homemade soups and other refreshments were available.
When Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected to the presidency in 1932, he initiated the Works Projects Administration. The present stage, both old springs, the bridges and rip-rap along the highway were constructed as part of these W. P. A. projects.
From 1934 to 1944, the Park was leased to Charlie Schreffler. He provided weekend shows for the communities' entertainment. Paul Stutzman operated Bingo games from 1934 to 1941. An interesting newspaper item from May 31, 1941 lists an admission charge of 15 cents for adults, children, free. Game prizes were awarded. During 1948 and 1949 Anthony Clover of Centralia leased the Park and provided weekend entertainment.
W.P.A. also built outdoor fireplaces at various sites throughout the park area. They also built a tennis court south of the ball diamond. The courts were rarely used and the area was later planted in trees.

Sorry I got Carried away :laughing7:

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0011.JPG

My gas Rebate 73 Cents

DSCF0022.JPG

my Trash

DSCF0001(1).JPG

1916 Wheat

DSCF0020.JPG

and Bling with no visible marking

DSCF0012.JPG DSCF0013.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 17

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always like seeing your story along with Arial views of the property with time progression. 73 cents and a nice hunt with someone like minded....priceless.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome ariels and history of the site. I bet there are old coins in that soil, just deep. I think I'd concentrate around the oldest trees in that area since there was most probably some fill placed there and leveled out.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I was able to post on T Net...I think it had some thing to do with WHATIFIND ???. I still can't get to all the today's finds, I don't know why or how. But YEAH! Congrats to the two of you!!!!

cladHatter

Oct 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great ring. Looks old.
Definitely not hunted out.
What did Whadidfind find?

Just out of curiosity how many times have you been there yourself JeffOfPa?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring.
Definitely not hunted out.
What did Whadidfind find?

Just out of curiosity how many times have you been there yourself JeffOfPa?

I've been hunting it since the 70's One of those spots I've found at least 1 of almost every u.s. coin type
ever made, From Half Dimes to Large Cents From seated dimes to Barber Halves.
But as I said "Hammered" with every detector I've ever owned .

first trip there I as told there was a guy who wrote stories for one of the early magazines on the
coins he dug out there. I never heard what Magazine or who. I was just pointed to the hot spots.
& they were still hot.

Right now some of the Park areas are off limits .
due to work being done
anyone attempting to hunt them will be thrown out
and possibly mess things up for us.
But it's temporary till they are finished.
So we needed to stay in the Central Open areas.

WHADIFIND found what We think was a 39 Wheat & a Large Floating heart surrounded with Diamonds.

he should be home by now. He left same time I did 3ish & had a Hundred mile or so

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I was able to post on T Net...I think it had some thing to do with WHATIFIND ???. I still can't get to all the today's finds, I don't know why or how. But YEAH! Congrats to the two of you!!!!

Still Problems :icon_scratch: You should try and make a post in Help & give as much Details as you can.

source you use etc.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, he May be staying at your hour if he didn't get bling!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff..always thoroughly enjoy the great pics, aerial views and the backdrop, that gives me a great feeling of that site from my chair hundreds of miles away. Just today I hunted a park in an old town, est 1834, my first time there, and by the handfuls of clad, I'd say it's not hammered much at all. I'm taking full advantage of the great weather this week as I am definitely going back. The ground is like butter from the weekend rain and the trusty ATP is finding them deeply, as a couple of targets at 7-8 inches rang in true. I found a couple of spots where it appeared there might have been a house or building, lots of trash and deep coins nearby...JUST bordering on that magic silver cutoff..a handfull of 65, 66, 67 dimes and quarters...so I know there's silver very close....and it's a big park, so wish me luck, hope to be posting later this week. Thx very much...great post...ddf

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, that wasn't trash you found in the 4th from last picture, that was unwanted history.:laughing7:
Marvin

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, that wasn't trash you found in the 4th from last picture, that was unwanted history.:laughing7:
Marvin

LOL I may have to Borrow that Description "unwanted History' :thumbsup:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still fun and cool finds......your gold pan still needs gold in it

Top Member Reactions