3 Hunts Produce an 1895 Silver Anniversary Spoon, 2 IHPs, 2 Rings, and a 3 Ringer

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to Jim's house today. We sat an chatted for about an hour. Even though the ground is dry he insisted I hunt his yard again if I wanted to. In 3,5 hours I pulled a 3 ringer bullet, 1 gold plated ring, 2 IHPs, :thumbsup: a 1911-D wheat, 17 cents in other clad. Before I left, he let me know of another house (down the street) I need to stop by. He scored me a permission that I will sit on until it rains again. :occasion14:

I then went back to the house where I pulled the key date IHP. I was only going to hunt in the shaded areas since the dirt there had some moisture. There weren't many good targets in the areas I hunted. Only pulled 6 cents, (1956D wheat) and the 1895 25th Anniversary spoon. Half way through the hunt the old fart from across the street yelled "Hey you...do you have permission to hunt there?" :BangHead: I yelled back "Sure do, Scott gave me permission a few weeks back". That eased the neighbor's mind, he went in his house and I continued the short hunt.

It was too early to go home so I hit the back lot at the middle school. I pulled a small silver ring, two 1951 wheats and 29 cents in other clad coins.

Sure wish it would rain soon and soak the ground. So many permissions to hunt, but not the right soil conditions for most yards in the area.

Today's 3 hunt haul

20150822_162208.jpg

Notable Coins
20150822_162333.jpg

1895 25th Wedding Anniversary Spoon
20150822_163202.jpg

As always, thanks for reading, and hope ya'll got out and swung the coil today.

Upvote 15

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geesh, have you ever dug a toasty IHP? The soil conditions may be bad but the soil quality is top notch.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm loving the spoon -- best find of your hunt and an excellent find in general. :thumbsup: I'd consider having a silversmith restore that one. Any idea who it may have belonged to??

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Loco!!!:thumbup: you the man!!!:cool:

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geesh, have you ever dug a toasty IHP? The soil conditions may be bad but the soil quality is top notch.

Sure did, 2 months into this hobby I dirt fished an old lot that used to be a trailer park. I pulled a solid green encrusted coin. It was my 1st IHP, In order to get a date I tried electrolysis. Coin cleaned up nice but no date since I left it in too long. I am thinking it was an 1887.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunts Loco, love that spoon, too bad it got torn apart :sadsmiley:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure did, 2 months into this hobby I dirt fished an old lot that used to be a trailer park. I pulled a solid green encrusted coin. It was my 1st IHP, In order to get a date I tried electrolysis. Coin cleaned up nice but no date since I left it in too long. I am thinking it was an 1887.

My very first IH was a crusty, nasty looking thing, but I was proud as could be. Very good finds as always LD.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Most places around here, in town, GB at 64 to 65 on the F75 whatever that means. I take it the lower the number, the better the soil? :dontknow:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
3 Hunts Produce an 1895 Silver Anniversary Spoon, 2 IHPs, 2 Rings, and a 3 Ri...

I just cracked a fortune cookie while reading your post and it read, "A nice slow hunt after a good rain will reawaken an old spot"

Nice spoon Loco

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats!
Looks like the spoon was mowed down.

We've finally had rain, supposed to get more (just not Sunday morning...pleeeeeeeazzz) the M-6 can't swim.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs. Congrats

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to Jim's house today. We sat an chatted for about an hour. Even though the ground is dry he insisted I hunt his yard again if I wanted to. In 3,5 hours I pulled a 3 ringer bullet, 1 gold plated ring, 2 IHPs, :thumbsup: a 1911-D wheat, 17 cents in other clad. Before I left, he let me know of another house (down the street) I need to stop by. He scored me a permission that I will sit on until it rains again. :occasion14:

I then went back to the house where I pulled the key date IHP. I was only going to hunt in the shaded areas since the dirt there had some moisture. There weren't many good targets in the areas I hunted. Only pulled 6 cents, (1956D wheat) and the 1895 25th Anniversary spoon. Half way through the hunt the old fart from across the street yelled "Hey you...do you have permission to hunt there?" :BangHead: I yelled back "Sure do, Scott gave me permission a few weeks back". That eased the neighbor's mind, he went in his house and I continued the short hunt.

It was too early to go home so I hit the back lot at the middle school. I pulled a small silver ring, two 1951 wheats and 29 cents in other clad coins.

Sure wish it would rain soon and soak the ground. So many permissions to hunt, but not the right soil conditions for most yards in the area.

Today's 3 hunt haul

View attachment 1202430

Notable Coins
View attachment 1202431
1895 25th Wedding Anniversary Spoon
View attachment 1202432

As always, thanks for reading, and hope ya'll got out and swung the coil today.

Nice hunt!
Yeah, you really can't dig plugs in dry soil.
If you do that in parks/schoolyards I believe that would be construed as vandalism.
A lot of newcomers here may not know that. Better to wait and treat it like your own yard.
Nice hunts you do. I follow most. Continued good luck to you!

CF

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like that old silver spoon!!! Not a lot out our way except plated! Those Indians look nice as well! Nice saves! :occasion14:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Some cool treasures!! Love that spoon!!

CASPER-2