Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_2923.JPG
Well I found another crotal bell today. The third one in four weeks. This one appears more modern but I'm not sure. It has what I believe to be a zero inprinted on it and it looks almost pewter. Does anyone know if these bells were made of pewter and if so I would think they would be embellished, but I'm not sure. In the plug I found,next to the bell, a remnant of leather which appears to have a rivet in the leather. I did a little research and I'm not sure when these types of bells stop being manufactured for use other than decorative sleighbells. Any ideas?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a white metal bell once, it ended up being a form of "white bronze". I don't think that it is pewter, pewter would probably be flaking by now if it was of any old age.

OP
OP
H

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sense. Like I mentioned this one does not seem to be as old as my other two. The first looks to be ironed and the second also iron but was riveted on as opposed to having the Shank. The first two did not have any markings for size and no one Bella Schmidt

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say it is from the 1840's at the oldest, my white bronze bell was made then and is still in great condition, still shiny. It could be as new as the 20th century though. Your bell looks machine made, if so, I would say that it is most likely from around around the 1890's, give or take a decade or two. It will be slightly older if it was partially made by humans, like I said, maybe as old as the 1840's.

OP
OP
H

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tested the first to bells I found, thinking they were iron, but using a magnet neither one registered. I'm wondering if the first two are bronze.
By the way, where in New England are you from? I'm in Connecticut, the north west corner

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I just tested the first to bells I found, thinking they were iron, but using a magnet neither one registered. I'm wondering if the first two are bronze.
By the way, where in New England are you from? I'm in Connecticut, the north west corner

I am from the southern part of NH. I have metal detected in Connecticut once, and funny enough found a bell. A modern one from the 1970's though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread