3 Indians, WWI Collar Disk, Gold Pin, and More!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out detecting yesterday with my friend. We did pretty well.

While we were packing up the car, my friend ran into the woods behind my house with his detector and 5 minutes later came out with the Indian Head Penny on the far left. With basic cleaning tools (Toothpick, Q-tip) we were unable to get a date. We later dropped it in some peroxide it get the crust off.

3ihps.JPG
Although it is hard to tell in the picture, because of the coloration of the metal, the date turned out to be an 1866. The other two (1899 & 1878) I dug at a Victorian era house.

The first house that we stopped at was an early 1800's house. My good find at this site was the WWI collar disk. It has crossed cannons with an "F" for field artillery. I also found the small harmonica reed, which appears to have "LILLE MONT" stamped into it. The crazy find for the day was when My friend pulled a pistol out of the yard (not pictured). It is most likely a starting pistol, because there is no cylinder. After the pistol, my friend found a pocket watch. It is mostly complete and even still has remnants of the small dial that told the seconds. He also found the small complete spoon.

ww1collardisk.jpg

findsfromjune14.jpg

Then we went to the Victorian era house, where I found the two IHPs. I found the round silver plated thing (which we thing is a pin or broach of some type) My friend dug the oval-shaped pin, which we think is solid gold, because it does not show the typical flaking of a gold-gilt or plated pin. The big spoon bowl (possibly pewter?) was dug by my friend.

I hope everyone had an awesome flag day.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting,

VTColonialDigger

Last edited:
Upvote 14

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great hunt, need to test that pin. love the IH

Apr 30, 2017
Vermont
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 250, Garrett Propointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds I wish I was there that friend seemed to have a good day

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The two items that strike my interest is that pewter spoon and the dandy button. Could you show a picture of back of those two? If the spoon is a rat-tail, your certainly in the 18th century, maybe even the earlier side.

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scrappy, you were taking about the spoon and the silver plated/gilt thing that I found, which on the left hand side of my group shot. I believe the silver gilt/plated thing to be a pin, rather than a button, because of the absence of anything resembling a shank/loop. Unfortunately I can't attach a photo at this point, but the back is absolutely smooth.

As for the spoon, I can't see if there is a "Rat Tail," as the spoon is in my friend's position, though, I wouldn't think that it is a rat tail spoon, only because of the age of the house where we found it, (house was Victorian era) although I may be wrong.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions