3 MORE COINS FROM SITE! COB, CUT SPANISH & 1682 DUTCH 1/2 STUIVER!

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was a great day all the way around! Weather, finds, permission! :headbang:

After talking to the farmer and getting permission to mow down an unused field i've wanted to re-detect (confirmed early 18th century site) I headed back over to my beaten to death colonial site - the only one I have right now that I can detect - for 3 1/2 hours of swinging.

I wanted to bring my camera to document but the last time i did that I broke it (hard on equipment) so I decided early on that if I found something good I'd take it home and "shoot" the reveal.

So, this day I decided to hunt the outer areas of the site and use the Deus w/ 13 x 11 coil. Reactivity 2/3, silencer 2, sens 80-85, full tones, disc 5, manual ground 88, 18 khz.

Immediately I got a faint whisper and out popped the cob. I saw the cross and stuck the clod in my pocket. All day long I wanted to look at that bad boy! lol. About 2 hours in I got a beautiful "tight" sounding 81 signal and saw the sliver in the clod. I knew what it was immediately and put the chunk of silty soil in my pocket. The rest of the day I just kept digging anything that resembled a decent tone. I was fooled by chunks of iron all day but who cares. At one point near the end of the day I lost my pinpointer and went looking for it. After I found it where I used it last :o) , it was time to roll on home so I made my way back to get my jacket i had shed earlier and my small coil. Thats when I popped out what I thought was a token but it fact after cleaning turned out to be a 1682 Groningen, Netherlands billon 1/2 stuiver! Thats got to be a scarce find for the East coast of the USA!

Sorry for all the pics but its mostly for the reveal...

CIMG4854.JPG CIMG4860.JPG CIMG4864.JPG CIMG4865.JPG CIMG4867.JPG CIMG4869.JPG CIMG4870.JPG

Upvote 5

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on the Cob!!!
Still looking for my first...
You are kicking some but...
Congrats.
George

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great early finds there - I too am stunned at the number of cut Spanish and Cobs showing up lately - Is it because y'all are hunting
with the Deus ?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful cob! You're right about being able to take your time in a colonial hot spot. That's how you get the good stuff

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going for 3 ounces of colonial silver! LOL :hello:

How many ounces of beer did you get?

Great finds, great site, location, location, location. What was your TX power set on? I found my half Reale with my deus, and it was a great site also.
Good work slowing down and listening.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which detect hit these... the deus or 3030?

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
man I hate you guys:laughing7:I take it you live in Europe?Those cobbs are something special,I have always dreamed of finding one.I see you have the right idea,there is nothing like looking at freshly found finds over a nice tall glass of the bubbly,and don't tell me its apple cider.Very nice stuff!HH

On the East coast of the USA. RESEARCH. RESEARCH. RESEARCH. Not apple cider lol.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job sniffing out those colonial coins. Sites like this are not easy to come by - enjoy it while it lasts. BTW, I've seen others make banner with days like the one you had. Lately it seems the banner standards have been raised a bit.

I'll probably hunt it a few more times this season. Then it'll need to be turned over again but the farmer has been no tilling and just spraying B4 planting. That stinks.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IWANNA SEE THE BENT ONE CLEAN!!! ............ heh
Or even "cleaner"... wanna make out with it... kiss my screen lol

Im afraid to do anything else to it! It def seems like billon because I think a copper coin would've snapped into. The alloy is forgiving and pliable.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great day out hunting, really what's there not to like about having a day like this swinging the coil, it's what most dream about, and you're doing it!

Starting Monday kids are out of school next few weeks so that'll be it until Jan 5th. Love the kids but I'll be counting the days. lol

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great early finds there - I too am stunned at the number of cut Spanish and Cobs showing up lately - Is it because y'all are hunting
with the Deus ?

Mostly because I have a lot of time methinks. But there is no question the Deus is picking out targets within the iron that my other detectors didnt/ cant hear.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beautiful cob! You're right about being able to take your time in a colonial hot spot. That's how you get the good stuff

Thanks! Yep. I was just inching along with LOTS of overlap and digging the slightest sign of a signal. The cob signal was so so weak that if I hadnt had the audio boost jacked up I dont know if I would've heard it. Im moving so slow that I feel certain another Spanish coin is within reach when I return. And return I will!

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How many ounces of beer did you get?

Great finds, great site, location, location, location. What was your TX power set on? I found my half Reale with my deus, and it was a great site also.
Good work slowing down and listening.

Thanks! I had the TX power on 1. At some point I will try to change the freq and crank up the power to see what happens. But I notice I'm already getting to the lighter color soil below so I may be penetrating to the bottom on the finds zone in most of the field already. Maybe it'll help me in the lower areas where the top soil is deeper but there is also more iron there - naturally.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Which detect hit these... the deus or 3030?

This was with the Deus. I recently got a 6" loop for the CTX and after Im done with the Deus will give it a whirl. This is one of those sites where I can run over the same spot 10 times and just keep getting signals. All detectors do this here and I think its because the area is often deluged with brackish water during major storms. Some of the low sections are still too muddy to really work well. The rain really soaked us here the last few weeks.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a couple of my favorite finds, Spanish silver and a cold one. I think I'd park my kids in front of Sponge Bob and ease out the back door. :laughing7:
Best of Luck on that amazing site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions