paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was back at that foundation/orchard to find what I had missed on the first pass. By the way, in regards to my previous post and potentially clearing the fallen trees at this site, these photos should give you an idea of what that project would entail:

DSC07855.JPG DSC07856.JPG DSC07857.JPG DSC07858.JPG DSC07859.JPG

I spent the first few hours in frustration since I hadn't found anything I had missed from the first pass. I opted to climb under some of the large branch clusters and it actually worked out pretty well.

DSC07879.JPG DSC07880.JPG DSC07881.JPG DSC07882.JPG DSC07885.JPG DSC07886.JPG DSC07888.JPG

I almost immediately found one large cent and then the other two were soon behind. The dates are 1810, 1822, and 1831. These are actually in much better condition than the other ones I had dug and were instantly legible. I've only taken off some of the heavier dirt with wet q-tips, but the patina is drying out and flaking off so I'm not sure how to preserve them further.

The minor coin spill was actually further out in the orchard and definitely from a much later time. It rang as a single coin so I pulled out the first IH and then swept again finding another ring, so I pulled that out and so on and so forth until I had four IHP (1898, 1899, 1906, and 1907), one 1910 wheat and the 1905-S Barber. Sadly the barber is a little beat up, but very welcome since this is the first and so far only silver at this site. The other IHP was by itself in the orchard, but is dated 1864 so the same date as the 2-cent from earlier.

The relics were randomly scattered about as relics usually are. The ornate flat brass piece is very cool, but no writing or makers marks. The brass cone object at the top, could that be a cane tip? I love the pocket knife too, even though it was next to a LC and messing with the signal.

These three pieces are actually from the tavern site where I did a quick hunt before I lost the light.

DSC07883.JPG DSC07884.JPG

The dandy button is the largest I've found and still has the shank, but no markings. Another plain 1820's flat, but also with the shank. The last one I thought was a wiped clean copper, but Britannia is slightly visible on the back and you can make out the faint outline of the bust so it's likely a KGII half penny. Not a bad way to round out the day!

Upvote 14

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job getting those finds, looks like you had to work for it. Those large cents are in pretty nice shape, and who doesn't love a barber dime!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Impressive largies and Barber. Nice. Looks like a lot of work for your finds also

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta go where others are unwilling to tread? Worked out extremely well for you........super finds!!

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of coines and relics. All good!
Great Rewards come to those that don't quit.Congratulations

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! Those large cents are in very decent shape - most of the LCs I've found are too toasted to get a date from. Nice assortment of IHCs and sweet Barber dime (still looking for my first one!).

You definitely worked for those, and there could be more waiting for you under those branches. Congrats!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn nice stuff Paleo..Finding stuff like that , I would take on the project for sure. Nice post.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you kicked some Major A$$. if ya' see a bear, just ask him to help clearing the site--- he will obey---with those finds, you are the KING :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds A for effort that's for sure! What a great hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to push through the frustration and find new angles. I'm putting some coppers like that in mineral oil for a few weeks, and I like the results so far.

Curious about the cone shaped object, as I can't recall seeing one before.
Great hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread