30 Minute Scout Trip to Cellar Hole! Not Bad!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello guys! I just got back from a short 30 minute trip to check out another cellar hole I found during research. I wasn't planning to bring my metal detector at first, but decided to bring it just in case the place seemed good. This one was next to an abandoned road, which I parked at. There were already 3 other cars parked there to go hiking, a little surprising for Tuesday Evening. I walked less than .1 miles, and right on the side of the trail was the cellar hole. I was at first disappointed, figuring that it has heavily been metal detecting. I started behind the cellar hole for five minutes or so, then moved out in front of it. I noticed a raised area of dirt right where the doorstep would be, and found a button at only a couple inches deep. I then moved to the side of the cellar hole and I noticed an old hole with a can on the side of it, I already figured that I wasn't the first one with a metal detector to come here though. Shortly after I got a very strong hit, and found another button. I then moved to the road in front of the cellar hole for a few minutes, I pulled out two pieces of the handle of a pewter rat tail spoon from the first half of the 1700's, at less than half an inch deep. Shortly after I found half of a cuff link, with the link attached. I then went to what would have been the front yard and found another button, and a brass thimble. It was getting cold and dark, so I decided to leave. When I got to the car I realized I was only there for around half and hour. I will definitely been returning there soon, but it found be for a while probably considering that the weather report says that we are supposed to get a lot of snow soon!

I feel like this year has started off pretty good. I have found at least one button on every single hunt I have been on, including those brief hunts in the woods behind my backyard. Last year I went to 20 cellar holes before July and all of them were heavily metal detected since the 1970's, and I only found 1 button and not a single coin or other relic until August.

DSC_0062.JPGDSC_0066.JPG

The spoon handle is pretty neat, these were hand poured into a spoon mold, and are pretty crude. I read that this style of pewter rat tail spoon handle was most popular during the reign of George I. I was lucky to already have two undug examples to compared it with, that I both found for under $10 at an antique shop.
DSC_0071.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 22
Great finds! Hopefully this snow won’t last and you can get back out there!!:icon_thumright:

Great finds! Hopefully this snow won’t last and you can get back out there!!:icon_thumright:

Thanks! I wish the same for you too, hopefully you can get back out to your 8 Reales site soon and try to see if there is anything else good there to be found! I also can't wait to spend some more time at the new cellar hole that I just found, there are not too many sites that I have been to have produced this much in 30 minutes on the first hunt.

Last edited:
Congratulations! :occasion14:

That's a site for another return hunt, a half hour and it produced some nice finds. Well done!
If it had been hunted before, they just cheery picked, or they just plain suck at getting the good stuff.

Nice finds....fast too! :thumbsup:

Excellent recon and short hunt. My sister is in Putnam County, N.Y.,, and they already have 8 inches of snow with more coming. Hope you guys don't get hit too hard.

The spoon. The button. The thimble. The cuff link. All we need now are human bones and we could recreate colonial man.

That's a site for another return hunt, a half hour and it produced some nice finds. Well done!
If it had been hunted before, they just cheery picked, or they just plain suck at getting the good stuff.

Thanks! My only guess is that whoever metal detected there, if someone did, was intimidated by the iron around the cellar hole, so they avoided the whole area all together. I only saw what looked like one dig hole too, and it was not very distinct, but it did have an old can on the side of it under the leaves. I feel very lucky to find such an obvious easy to get to cellar hole, that hasn't been completely hunted out. The walk alone to get to most of my other good ones takes a half an hour alone, leaving much less time to metal detect. I am going to bring the 5" sniper coil next time I go, it was very hard to get through any of the iron within 20 feet of the cellar hole with the standard coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back