Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GopherDaGold said:
That's not an attitude that reflects positively on the hobby. It is not our duty to police after the folks we return items to. I'd much rather sleep well at night.

I Have to agree. the last thing I would
think anyone who realizes we are already
moving towards being a Police state,
would want to do is call the cops on somone.

I would have made it a point to
let them know I love detecting
& IF They know of any
Mansions where big parties go on.

well :wink: "If you can get me in" :wink: :wink:

OP
OP
Reef Dawg

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar
A little more background that should ease some of the concerns posted above.

The ring was bought at auction for less than its current worth. And because it was a gift, the son did not purchase insurance for it. His Mom was supposed to do that, but for whatever reason, didn't. So, the ring was a total loss had it not been found.

The client is also a friend of Eva's, so there was never a question in our mind about what the right course of action was.

A South Florida television station contacted us yesterday and will be doing a story on the find and be there when we return the ring. Whether we get a reward or not, I can honestly say, I don't regret giving it back to the rightful owner.

I'm a Treasure Hunter, not a Treasure Pirate. :headbang:

Reef Dawg

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if one clearly knows who it belongs to * which in this case he clearly did --the right thing is to return it ---

however a when it comes to a "random" find of cash , jewelry ( run of the mill type silver or gold --no ID markings and nothing to easily ID by) or a wallet with cash and NO ID -- most folks will go --OH well found ME some money --but if they see some one in a parking lot clearly looking for a wallet or the missing wedding band or money , and they see it they would return --(id or no id in it)

thats just basic right and wrong in most folks veiw --if you see the loss or know of it first hand --you return the item with little effort on your part -- but do not expect me to bust my hump to return a carelessly loss item that I found with no one around --- no one would walk into a bar holding a $100 bill in the air going --I found this outside in the parking lot --anyone lose a $100?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
but do not expect me to bust my hump to return a carelessly loss item that I found with no one around --- no one would walk into a bar holding a $100 bill in the air going --I found this outside in the parking lot --anyone lose a $100?

LOL "I Lost it" :hello:

Absolutely !

Finders Keepers in that case

"A fool & His money are soon Parted" :wink:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reef Dawg said:
A little more background that should ease some of the concerns posted above.

The ring was bought at auction for less than its current worth. And because it was a gift, the son did not purchase insurance for it. His Mom was supposed to do that, but for whatever reason, didn't. So, the ring was a total loss had it not been found.

The client is also a friend of Eva's, so there was never a question in our mind about what the right course of action was.

A South Florida television station contacted us yesterday and will be doing a story on the find and be there when we return the ring. Whether we get a reward or not, I can honestly say, I don't regret giving it back to the rightful owner.

I'm a Treasure Hunter, not a Treasure Pirate. :headbang:

Reef Dawg

Awsome !

hopefully you can get a Link to the
Story when it Airs !

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
EXACTLY MY POINT! And I find it hard to beleive there was no way some type of insurance was on it. They have a reciept and personal insurance on there belongings. And if not they must be very very very well off to lose any amount close to that claimed value and not be in the poor house after that.
jeff of pa said:
ivan salis said:
but do not expect me to bust my hump to return a carelessly loss item that I found with no one around --- no one would walk into a bar holding a $100 bill in the air going --I found this outside in the parking lot --anyone lose a $100?

LOL "I Lost it" :hello:

Absolutely !

Finders Keepers in that case

"A fool & His money are soon Parted" :wink:

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Knowing where it came from, I would have to return it. It's their problem with the insurance company, if one existed. Asking for something in return, well, it's extortion, which is not pretty. You did good, as Nan said. -Noodle

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Very interesting thread.
Thank you for returning the ring.

Now for the rest:
If an insurance company payed off on an lost or stolen item, then the item belongs to the insurance company.

Again most every one here is old enough to know better then the I found it I should keep it. If an item is identifiable, and who it belongs to found, it should be returned. All of the excuses I have heard for not doing it is amusing.

It is always interesting to read the ethics of individuals on all the various treasure (relic or artifact) sites. It sure does not present a good image for the whole of treasure hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread