$300 burning a hole in my pocket need som Direction

swabby

Greenie
Feb 23, 2008
Sanibel, Fl
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse 1b
I want a newbie machine and unbiased opinions.
Kelly co has these machines under 300.
Minelab xterra 30
Garrett Ace 250 w/ 2 coils
Fisher F-2 w/3 coils and pinpointer
Teknetics Delta 4000 w/pinpointer

I have read many reviews and they have the same theme. Garrett guys trashing the fisher and minelab, Fisher fans trashing the Garrett and so on. I am leaning towards the teknetics because I really have not found anything negative (((((but))))) it is a new machine so I have not found a lot. Anybody can give head to heads on these would much be appreciated.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The teknetics is an old company and this is a new model. I would suggest the Ace 250 and I am not a big Garrett fan, I like Tesoro's and Minelabs.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 250s a good machine. But if you want something with ground balance and the ability to use different frequency coils i have a clean like new Minelab xterra 305 wich is a good machine for 325 deliverd. Send Pm if interested. Good luck :headbang:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd go with the 250.
I tried upgrading to a ML Quattro,, was it ??? And I ended up selling it at a $300 cause I liked the 250 better.

I will try upgrading in the future, probably a high end Whites and/or a dedicated water machine, but I'll never sell my trusty 250, had it 4 years and its until death we will part ,,, Or if I get it ripped off from the back of my truck, which I keep it in all summer long, so I can hunt anytime and anywhere I get the urge.

OP
OP
S

swabby

Greenie
Feb 23, 2008
Sanibel, Fl
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse 1b
I see the Garrett 250, is popular. It is a proven machine, but what I was really asking for was a head to head comparisson so I can see pros and cons to the different units.
I do appreciate the input so far.
Thanks

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I've owned an Ace 250 - and used and almost bought a Fisher F-2.

The Ace 250 is a bit annoying with it's delayed sound and wierd handle setup and has a real bad time with high mineralization ground. It uses early 1980's technology. And the F-2's are either good ones - or pish-poor ones. You never know which one you'll get unless you buy the very one you try.

The Teknetics is probably a bit better than either of the above but the Fisher 1236 x-2 will go deeper than a of the above. It will also handle bad ground as well as the F-2 and sometimes even better. If you want to find tiny things like stud earrings or tiny nuggets get a Tesoro Silver uMax and it will beat the F-2's and Ace 250. Not sure about the Teknetics 4000 though, but it will (slightly) outdo the Fisher 1236 x-2 for that regard.

Hope this helps.

LL

sassyswingah

Greenie
Jul 28, 2009
I was looking at the F2 and the Ace-250 but decided to buy the Tesoro Silver uMax...kelly co doesn't sell them but if you can find a local dealer they usually will let you try it out! The Tesoro was $240 and of course doesn't come with all the goodies that the F2 and Ace-250 do from kelly co but it does have a lifetime warranty! I have heard good things about the compadre by Tesoro and it was around $160.

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
sassyswingah said:
I was looking at the F2 and the Ace-250 but decided to buy the Tesoro Silver uMax...kelly co doesn't sell them but if you can find a local dealer they usually will let you try it out! The Tesoro was $240 and of course doesn't come with all the goodies that the F2 and Ace-250 do from kelly co but it does have a lifetime warranty! I have heard good things about the compadre by Tesoro and it was around $160.
Don't buy a machine based ont eh freebies they give you. For the most part they are worth what you pay. 0

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've bought my last two detectors from pawn shops.I know no warranty, but got a silver like new for $120 and a explorer xs for $400. Both work perfect, nock on wood.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a F2 Speaker just crapped out. Newer Fishers break down easy. Garrett decent Quality .Tesoro Good and Minelabs are good qualitty .

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
send me $150.00 i will send you a used but in really good shape ace 250 and use the other 150 to buy you a propointer pin pointer by garretts you get the pp a find bag a prass probe and a garretts shovel and two books 1 about thing and 1 about coin collecting. pm if you are interested

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
swabby said:
I want a newbie machine and unbiased opinions.
Kelly co has these machines under 300.
Minelab xterra 30
Garrett Ace 250 w/ 2 coils
Fisher F-2 w/3 coils and pinpointer
Teknetics Delta 4000 w/pinpointer

I have read many reviews and they have the same theme. Garrett guys trashing the fisher and minelab, Fisher fans trashing the Garrett and so on. I am leaning towards the teknetics because I really have not found anything negative (((((but))))) it is a new machine so I have not found a lot. Anybody can give head to heads on these would much be appreciated.

If you were a relative or personal friend I would tell you to watch the "for sale board" here and pick up a good used detector like maybe a used Minelab Sovereign.

A Minelab Sovereign XS sold on here a week ago for $350 and it included "the meter, a rechargeable battery, charger, regular battery holder, hip mount, trash bag, unused minelab hat, key chain, original instructions and is packed in the original box." (For $350 VaRelics got a heck of a good deal) http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,264415.0.html

A major advantage to buying a good used high dollar detector is a year from now VaRelics will be able to sell that Sovereign XS for the same thing he paid for it, none of those you list will do that for you. buying from a respected member here will ensure you get what you pay for as well.

I bought a used ML Excal for $800, used it for 18 months and sold it for $725, and that does not take into account all the gold rings (some with diamonds) coins and other finds it earned me.

If that doesn't interest you, I have a whites Classic ID with the Mr Bill mod in really sweet condition I will sell you for $250, and we could probably work out a delivery half way and save the shipping.

OP
OP
S

swabby

Greenie
Feb 23, 2008
Sanibel, Fl
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse 1b
Great Info everyone thanks. I am going to keep my eyes on the boards. I want a newbie detector without to many bells and whistles, but with discrimination. I started with an Aquapulse, great detector, Big mistake. Very deep seeking unit without discrimination. I dug alot of very deep holes. I did find some clad but the holes were deep. I am a newbie, I want to learn the right way. I may try to find a mid level unit on the boards. Thanks for the tip Treasure Hunter

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a used Tesoro Eldorado? This is a GREAT purchase for under $300--and Tesoro would probably still repair it for free if it ever needs it, since all their machines are lifetime warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TESORO-ELDORADO...ItemQQimsxZ20090819?IMSfp=TL090819164001r5083

This is a better machine than the Tesoro Silver uMax. 1.) It already comes with a 9 x 8 coil instead of the stock coil. 2.) It has manual ground balance. I would take it over a new Cibola ($320) due to #2 alone.

Cheers,

Buckles

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
there are lots of good entry level machines out there, and only you can decide!

All the tesoro Umax machines are simple and eary to use...with decent performance. The Garrett 250 ACE is a real good performer, but I really dont like the audio...............and its VERY sensitive to interference from other machines. IF you hunt solo that isnt a factor.
The minelab Advantage is a real sleeper, with GREAT preformance for the buck. you should easily be able to snag a good used one for 300 bucks.
All the Whites classic series machines are a good bang for the buck too..and have put many a coin and relic in folks pouches. The key here is the find a place where you can actually try one or two of these machines............to see if they are down your alley.
There are sooo many to chosee from, its not hard to see why it might be difficult to choose.
Since you mentined it, the F2 is a great little performer for the low price, as is the F4. I have both here, and they are fun to use and easy the set up. Both use the same coils, and have a good coil selection too. 8".....10"....4"... concentrics........and the 11" DD. Push comes to shove though I'd opt for the F4 due to the additonal All metal options. It has full threshold control in All metal. What you end up with is entirely up to your needs. If you just want a nice simple machine pretty much any of the machines mentioned here will fill you needs........but its always better if you can lay hands on.....so you can actually feel and hear them. Streak!

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Hello Swabby. Was interested in what you finally decided to get. Thanks

OP
OP
S

swabby

Greenie
Feb 23, 2008
Sanibel, Fl
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse 1b
I took the advise to check the boards, I found a brand New in the Box Fisher F-4. A gentleman in TX won in a contest and didn't need another MD, so I bought it for $275 Shipped.
Perfect way to spend my $300.
It is enough of a newbie machine, not to many bells and whistles, but does have a few more options than a complete Newbie Machine.
I will give it to my 4 year old for a day so he can explain how it works to me ;D

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
Re: I just got an F4 myself.and like it.

swabby said:
I took the advise to check the boards, I found a brand New in the Box Fisher F-4. A gentleman in TX won in a contest and didn't need another MD, so I bought it for $275 Shipped.
Perfect way to spend my $300.
It is enough of a newbie machine, not to many bells and whistles, but does have a few more options than a complete Newbie Machine.
I will give it to my 4 year old for a day so he can explain how it works to me ;D

Easy to use...had a powerful Autotune mode, and is GREAT on coins!
Its my "visitors" detector. bout anyone can pick it up and use it easily, and it has performance to rival machines costing quite a bit more. Great choice! Streak!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
The teknetics is an old company and this is a new model. I would suggest the Ace 250 and I am not a big Garrett fan, I like Tesoro's and Minelabs.

That is sound advise. I have an Ace 250 which I am happy with, but at the same time I hear many good things about Tesoro. Keep in mind they offer a lifetime guarantee :icon_thumleft: I would suggest going though all the post in each of companies listed in this forum. It will take some time, but may give you an idea where you want to be

arnie161

May 26, 2007
North Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE / T2 / Garrett Ace 250 / White DFX 300 / F75
X-Terra 705 / E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Ace 250 and it is a great entry level machine, my kids use it and are always finding coins and jewelry, I don't have the other machines all i know is that the Ace 250 is a winner in my book.

Good Luck,

Arnie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread