30’s, 40’s, 50’s and 60’s Silver, 70’s GOLD!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
My cup runneth over.....

I don’t normally post much and I don’t think I’ve ever posted a picture of my finds, other than a couple of oddities I was looking for help ID’ing. I figure yesterday was an interesting enough day to warrant a story and a couple of pictures.

Went out for a little trip yesterday, mostly to dump and to check out an auction that has some very poorly ID’d coins. I stopped at a couple of banks and got a handful of miscellaneous rolls (no halves). Was checking and dumping the CWR’s as I was going, saving the MWR’s for home with the family. Any CWR’s with silver I’d throw into the ‘home’ box instead of the ‘dump’ box. I picked up $40 worth of CWR dimes at a particular bank, along with some nickels and quarters. Out of the $40 I scored two silver Rosie’s so I took a note to stop back by that bank on the way back and get some more CWR dimes.

Stopped at a different bank that had a handful of orphaned halves boxes. Story goes this is the 2nd time this guy has ordered a handful of boxes and then not come back to get them, the vault teller was preparing to ship them back out. I have a lot of coin and only enough cash for one box so I take one. Crack it open and eventually find a lone ’64 making it one of my best boxes ever! There are two other banks in the area, both of which I have accounts with. I head to the first of the banks looking to pick up some misc coin and they also have $20 CWR halves. Roll #1 has a ’68 and roll #2 has two ‘68s, a ’69 and a ‘63D. Nice unexpected score. At bank #2 the lady in front of me is buying out all the banks halves, I dumped a small pile rolled coin immediately after her, including halves. I know there are at least 2 $1K weekly dumpers at that branch so who knows what she found.... I then head to another dump bank to drop some loose coin. $150 into the halves she changes the bag and I take 2 or 3 minutes looking through the full bag and pulled a lone ’43-D out of the bag! Not too bad.... When I was cashing out I also pulled a ’51 Rosie out of her tray. Not too bad at all.

I went back to the bank with the orphaned halves boxes and bought two more. I told the teller I’d be back for the rest later in the week. I then stopped at the first dime bank and bought them out of CWR dimes, which was $120 more. I rim checked the dimes in the truck and only found one more dime, a ’39, our first Merc from CRH’ing, though we’ve found 3 more from coinstars this year already. Also found a little gold colored George Washington token in the dimes. Threw the dime rolls back in the ‘home’ boxes so the kids could look through them.

Got all the rolls home and we cracked the halves boxes open first, finding 4 40%‘ers (65, 67, 67, 68) and 2 proofs (’84-S, ’86-S). I’ll be back there tomorrow to get the rest of the boxes and to hopefully begin a new supply bank.

Got to opening the dimes and ended up with the ’39 Merc, 5 Rosie’s total, a copper colored dime (?) and the GW ‘gold’ token. So the 5-year old pulls the token out of the roll and reads out “Daddy I found a gold one!” I tell him it’s just gold colored. He says “But it says that it’s gold” I look at it and sure enough it says .500 fine gold??? After a little researched I believe it’s a 1976 bicentennial George Washington token issued by the Franklin mint. It’s .07 oz of 0.500 fine gold. I never thought I’d find a gold coin in a dime roll, let alone before I found our first Merc. I guess I’m glad I went back for more dimes...

Also found a ’45-S and ’43-P war nickel and a dateless Buffalo.

Attached are finds for the day and some close ups on the gold one. It’s not a gold coin, but a gold token or medal, still a pretty good find. If I've miss ID'd it, please chime in.

Good variety for me, a very fun day overall.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• P1110233.JPG
    P1110233.JPG
    457.6 KB · Views: 225
  • P1110236.JPG
    P1110236.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 241
  • P1110237.JPG
    P1110237.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
A GOLD COIN!! :goldcoin: What a spectacular find, Twitch! That's really encouraging for me to know that there's gold out there in dime rolls. I would think this find ends up being in your all-time Top 10 finds of your CRHing career.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering when someone was going to find gold next! Congrats Twitch!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks everyone. As soon as I figured out what it was I was actually a bit embarrassed. I feel very fortunate to find Silver. To find gold, as rare as I'm sure it must be....

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Man, you had a heck of a day! Silver and gold. Opening rolls with the kids; it doesn't get any better than that.

Exactly. You know I like looking for coins anyways, but opening them with the family is really a whole 'nother level of fun.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That copper colored dime might be worth about $10, it could be a plating error (missing its clad layer)

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to find gold, hunt dimes! The only CRHers I have seen here finding gold, find it in dime rolls. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread