lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi:hello:

Yup, it was 20-30mph windy out there at noon with a temp of 32* ( warmed up from 30* early morning:laughing7:).

I love detecting in brisk weather so off I went back to that eroded beach for a 1 1/2 hr. hunt.

As I was detecting parallel to the shoreline ,the wind was blowing the sand exposing more bottom hard surface...great conditions for hunting.

Found another "merc" ( 1945) ; a "wheatie" ( 1919...my oldest wheat find) , and an old , ornate silver ring which had the kind of tarnish that is sticky and very difficult to remove, but I tried. There is no stamping inside the ring band, but it is obviously silver.

I don't usually have silver rings professionally cleaned, but I like this one..it looks to be antique, and it fits....so I'd like to wear it sometimes.

Found the Police button in the parking lot as I was opening the trunk.

Here's some pics

Thanks again for looking at my finds.

Lorraine

DSCF2697.JPG

Here is a link to info re: William Scully Co. for those who may be interested

http://www.rcsigs.ca/ViewMaker/1/
DSCF2698.JPG

DSCF2704.JPG

DSCF2705.JPG

DSCF2703.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Lorraine. That's a neat ring, looks old. What a contrast in the weather it was almost 70 degrees here today on the beach.:)

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Great finds Lorraine. That's a neat ring, looks old. What a contrast in the weather it was almost 70 degrees here today on the beach.:)

I could take that 70* :headbang:

Had to wear gloves inside of gloves , and triple turtle neck jerseys, but I loved every minute out there.

Lorraine

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Nice finds for the conditions that you had but I think you may have a little brain freeze from the hunt...... 32 degrees with 20-30 mph winds is far from BRISK! You couldn't clean that silver ring as good as normal cause you were still shivering..... that is a nice looking design on the ring, I agree, looks antique.

Cliff

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Nice finds for the conditions that you had but I think you may have a little brain freeze from the hunt...... 32 degrees with 20-30 mph winds is far from BRISK! You couldn't clean that silver ring as good as normal cause you were still shivering..... that is a nice looking design on the ring, I agree, looks antique.

Cliff

:laughing7:

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That takes alota MOCKCIE Lorraine! ALOT! :BangHead::BangHead:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Lorraine,
Brrr!
I don't know how you do it! I'm shivering and it's at least 74 degrees outside on the patio!
Brrr.
Awesome finds!
HH

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cute ring. Have you tried Tarnex and a Qtip? You have to dab it carefully so you don't touch the stone, but sometimes it is the only way to get all the tarnish off...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stone appears to be onyx. As Susan said, sometimes on the really sticky buildup I use the Tarnx with a small artist brush with stiff bristles, rotating this with warm soapy water (dawn) and a tooth brush, drying the ring off after each application of Tarnex and the soapy water. Tarnex works on a chemical reaction so it does no good to let the Tarnex soak on the ring and it will take several applications to remove the grunge.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're just so brave enduring the weather on the beach. I'm just not ready for "Ole Man Winter", suppose to dip down to 25 for Weds morn. The cold, damp is what gets the arthritis acting up. Anyway, great finds...love the ring!!

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lorraine,
Brrr!
I don't know how you do it! I'm shivering and it's at least 74 degrees outside on the patio!
Brrr.
Awesome finds!
HH
I would kill for 74 right now! And i have found several of those darn chuckie cheese tokens, they sound nice swinging over them don't they lol

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Cute ring. Have you tried Tarnex and a Qtip? You have to dab it carefully so you don't touch the stone, but sometimes it is the only way to get all the tarnish off...

HI Susan,
Yes, I electrolyzed the ring , then used Tarn-X and Q-tips/ baking soda, and a soft brush...but the results were negligible ; the tiny rose and leaf pattern is difficult to get inside to clean; also it's the type of tarnish that is sticky, rather than crusty ( crusty is much easier to clean); I will try more Tarn-X soaking and brushing with baking soda.

the ring is small...I enlarge my photos for members to see the details .

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
You're just so brave enduring the weather on the beach. I'm just not ready for "Ole Man Winter", suppose to dip down to 25 for Weds morn. The cold, damp is what gets the arthritis acting up. Anyway, great finds...love the ring!!

I'm accustomed to colder weather, RR; I grew up in northern CT..close to the Mass. border , and the wintery conditions many years ago up there were much more severe than in present times. Just have to dress warmly and keep walkin'

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
I would kill for 74 right now! And i have found several of those darn chuckie cheese tokens, they sound nice swinging over them don't they lol

You are so right, Showtime2385; I cant stand diggin' those CC tokens..and they do sound sooooooooooo good; also with some sand still on them , I often thought that I found a gold coin until I saw that goofy image.

Hudson Valley N Y...beautiful area ...especially when driving through in the Fall season.

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
The stone appears to be onyx. As Susan said, sometimes on the really sticky buildup I use the Tarnx with a small artist brush with stiff bristles, rotating this with warm soapy water (dawn) and a tooth brush, drying the ring off after each application of Tarnex and the soapy water. Tarnex works on a chemical reaction so it does no good to let the Tarnex soak on the ring and it will take several applications to remove the grunge.

Thanks, Bigscoop; I 'm going to purchase a small artist brush with stiff bristles to get at those "hard to get" places near the onyx stone.

Lo

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, Lorraine. You had a great day and found some good stuff. You endured the cold, adapted and overcame the weather and found some nice stuff in your scoop. I like hunting when it's cold more than I do when it's hot. I got too cold when I first started water hunting, but with my under armor and my chest waders, I'm good to go for at least 2-3 hours.
We have some serious rain and wind in my area right now, but hopefully this Saturday I can end the drought and go dirt fishing. 99% of my detecting will be in the water from now on because I can't handle all the stooping and bending on land. HH.

Diggin Dave

May 20, 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (Waterproofed)
Primary Interest:
Nice finds Lorraine! I'm ready to try out my immersion suit in a few weeks and get out in the cold water! Be safe, and HH.

Dave

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

Bigscoop, I tried the dawn warm water cleansing ...seems to work well; thank you again for the suggestion.

Here's a pic of my second cleaning try:

DSCF2717.JPG

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Yo Lorraine I thought you were in Florida?

Wish I was, NJcigarman; have visited there several and had a great time.

I'm on the Southwestern CT shoreline across from LI Sound.

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread