$350 budget

justinfisch01

Nov 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am just getting into metal detecting and would like to buy my first detector. My budget is $350. I am open to new or used but I get confused with some of the middle of the line detectors. I am mostly looking for coins, jewlery, and relics on land but would occasionally try my luck on the beach after a big storm but that will be the least of my detecting. I know I can get my hands on a Fisher Auquanauts 1280× for $350. Although it appears to be much older than the current model under that name. I need help getting the most bang for my buck. All suggestions are welcome

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I were planning on detecting land sites mainly, and the least amount of time in the surf, I would not buy a water detector. There are many used and new detectors in your price range that have more options.

Last edited:

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Loco.

If you're going to hunt mostly on land, don't buy a purpose-built water detector.

Your $350 should buy you into a pretty nice Fisher, Garrett, or Minelab detector used on eBay.

I would advise waiting long enough to save another $50 or $100.

That will significantly improve the class of used machine you can buy (particularly with new machines hitting the market recently)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should also consider the price of a Lesche digging tool or another brand and a good pinpointer. JMO

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eurotek Pro, Fisher F22 or F44 and Whites TreasuePro are 4 worth looking at.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I know I can get my hands on a Fisher Auquanauts 1280× for $350. Although it appears to be much older than the current model under that name.

I agree with the other response concerning a land machine.

But, your statement about it being a much older model - I still swing my 32 year old Fisher 1260X, and it's quite competitive with the new machines. The moral of the story, older machines rock.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker and that Fisher are an impressive couple. I've hunted with him. I would buy a Tesoro Compadre with the 8 inch coil for $160, Lesche digger for $40, and a Garrett Propointer for $110. The compadre is 2.2 pounds, one knob, discrimination is great, and you get a lifetime warranty. The lesche is unbreakable and a great digger in roots, and the pinpointer make recovery so much faster.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That's quite a compliment Steve, thank you!

I think what really matters here is that you get a machine and learn what it is saying - learn whatever machine you decide on before you ever think about something new

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't overlook the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. You will still have plenty of money left over for a good pinpointer and a digging tool.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Right now Walmart has the Teknetics.Delta4000 on sale other web site for $138.00 brand new with warranty that is sold at other dealers for around $300.00 so that is a good deal at walmart's web site they do not have them in the store only web site and free shipping..TO LATE WALMART RAISED THE PRICE TONIGHT TO $205.00

Last edited:

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably not the best forum category for your question. Probably get more eyes on it if the question is located in the "metal detecting" category.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were planning on detecting land sites mainly, and the least amount of time in the surf, I would not buy a water detector. There are many used and new detectors in your price range that have more options.
X2-----------------------There are some good OLD VLF detectors that will do OK at the beach. Used of course and in your price range.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker and that Fisher are an impressive couple. I've hunted with him. I would buy a Tesoro Compadre with the 8 inch coil for $160, Lesche digger for $40, and a Garrett Propointer for $110. The compadre is 2.2 pounds, one knob, discrimination is great, and you get a lifetime warranty. The lesche is unbreakable and a great digger in roots, and the pinpointer make recovery so much faster.
Another very good choice.

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get an Eurotek Pro with 80$ X-Pointer. The same setup I use now and it seems to fit your budget.

PS. Xpointer is 80$ in USA, in order to get it in Europe I had to pay total 110$. Well worth it though.

tman

Greenie
Nov 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I up graded my garret 150 to the 350 and have been killing the corn fields with it,goes a foot deep,easy and has a built in pin pointer,I paid 297.00...and very happy with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread