$370,000 Ring Dropped Off Pier

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know the area extremely well. There's a chance to find it but they'll need to move FAST!!! The sands are always shifting around the pier and there are tons of lead weights, bottle caps, pull tabs, etc in that area. It's going to be a tough find no matter what. Oh and lets not forget the sharks, rough seas, and zero visibility right now.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Smells like insurance fraud. Think it out. Guy wears a heirloom ring valued at $370,000. Reaches into his pocket for cell phone, and whoopsie, the ring slides off. First off, these guys who have that kind of money get off on wearing their gadgets around their waste like some kind of modern day Batman utility belt. Their gadgets are just as much as a status symbol (look at me, I'm important) as functional. No way that they tuck their gadgets in their pants pocket. In these tough times, the insurance fraud is the likely scam. The insurance company needs to be checking the bank's safety deposit boxes before scouring the sands.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
In addition, the insurance company is going to need a suction dredge to find anything. The underside of the pier that the restaurant sits on has iron pilings driven into the sand filled with cement for each footing. The footings are about 3' - 4' apart. Any detector will be ringing from the pilings. The restaurant is in the middle of the pier. The end of the pier doesn't have nearly as many pilings concentrated.

Also, the Daytona area isn't known for attracting the types with $350,000+ diamond rings. They are more the cubic zirconium crowd.

OP
OP
Gadget

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually pulled the link off of the CNN.com front page.

Just looking around the web, there's similar discussions going on all over the place about this - insurance fraud, etc.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone was going to try to scam the Insurance company with the ring, there are a lot better ways then this........ I don't think he is trying to run a scam......

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,

I spoke to the records department of the Daytona Beach police. They don't seem to know anything about it

Interesting . . . can you spell HOAX?

I wonder how much business a story like this attracts to the area?

Jack

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoke to the Beach Patrol today. He said, yes, the guy was there, he says he dropped the ring at the end of the pier. He also mentioned that it was insured by Lloyds of London. There have not been divers yet that he knows of. There is still an ongoing investigation.

I went after work for about an hour and worked the area marked here, found some change and lots of fish hooks. The tide was coming in and I ran out of change for the meter.

dbpier.jpg

Plan on going tomorrow, unless something else turns up.

Jack

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ring could be anywhere from end of pier to 100+ yards or more down the beach by now and no telling how deep buried in sand........

A year ago New Years Day at Daytona Beach I recovered a silver ring for a mother who had given it to her 10 year old son for Christmas. They asked me if I would look for it, he lost it in front of their hotel while in shallow water. I looked for an hour with no luck, I moved on down the beach with my hunting and 2 hours later I found the ring, with the exact engraving mother described to me over a hundred yards down the beach.

Parents told me their son was never out of their view and in front of their hotel only...................... I repeatly turned down a $50 reward advising them it would be bad karma to charge a mother for a ring given to her son for Christmas...........

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

Went out Saturday from about 1 to 4 P.M. Low tide being about 2:30. I worked the area below and have one silver earring, a quarter and a few beer bottle caps to show for it. I started close to the pier, but got kicked North after a few minutes by the Beach Patrol. Waves were a little high, so only worked waist high for a short time before I had to move in a little shallower.

dbpier1.jpg

The Rip tide is vicious there, way more than up North at Flagler. It is heading North at such a clip that, if anything was caught in it, it could move some distance.

Jack

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: What does a $370,000 ring look like? Doe any one have a picture?

I hunt Daytona Beach all the time and I can't imagine anyone that could afford that kind of ring staying there. It's not the Hamptons. (I know I will get grief for this) The water is dirty and difficult to swim in, the beach is dirty and full of garbage and whenever I go there I go "packing". The college kids go there because it is cheap.

Call me a cynic but I would be suspicious, very suspicious. The only person I know around here that could possible wear a ring like that is someone from the France Family (NASCAR). And I am pretty sure that they would not be stupid enough to wear it near the beach.

TE

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt Daytona often, I see people all the time there on the beach and in the water with all kinds of gold and diamond jewelry on. You can't say no one would ever go there with expensive jewelry on, I see it too often. 1 1/2 years ago a hunter a huge diamond on platinum ring out of the water in front of the Hilton Hotel, it was appraised by 2 different jewelry stores at over $20,000 new.......

I was hunting there one day and saw a man frantically looking in the water waist deep for something. I saw him grab a baggie, put it in his pocket and walk ashore, up to a truck selling drinks. I watched him buy a drink and pay for it using the same bag.

I walked up to the truck after he left and told the driver what I saw and asked if he saw him take out a baggie. He told me the man paid for the drinks with cash out of a zip baggie with a large stack of bills. The man told him he lost it in the water, that he didnt trust the maids in the hotel........................

It takes all kinds.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread