.38 Rimfire With No Headstamp

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I have what I believe to be a .38 rimfire casing without a headstamp. According to what I read on Wikipedia's ".38 rimfire" article and some other random stuff online, this casing dates back to the latter half of the 1860s (when the round was developed) to the 1880s or so, when headstamps and centerfire ammunition became the norm. Is that correct? I also read on wikipedia that the .38 rimfire was used by the US military. If so, what weapons did the US military use that required this type of ammunition?
DSC02622.jpg DSC02623.jpg DSC02625.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not aware of any military use of a .38 rimfire. At least not in an issue weapon.

Both the Army and Navy did contract for converted percussion revolvers in 1871 & 1873 - that were centerfire.

There were conversions for the .36 Navy Colt Revolver that used a rimfire cartridge.

THE CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was strange too when the wikipedia article said it was "in service" in the United States.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions