3K Of Halves, Time To Change Up!!!

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After going through 3K in halves, I got 1 40% and 3 proofs...my first proofs that I have found, all coming from the same box. Lots of marked coins, but none with my marks. Time go change up my plans and search other stuff. Here's a few pics of the markings, the proofs and forgot....one-half of a hollowed out half found by my wife. Since we didn't find the other half it went back into one of the rolls to save me 50 cents. She joked...it's 25 cents!!! NOT!!!

A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg DSC08812.JPG

Got a lot of the yellow-green painted halves throughout the boxes. Must be someone else in NC that does that. Love to know where they are just to see how far they moved around. Many of the markings in the photos were duplicated here and there throughout the rolls.

On a side note, I know what a real proof half is worth...one still really proof and not gone into circulation. So what do you guys do with the proofs that you find in the rolls that are obviously now circulated and not in mint condition?

Upvote 0

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The impaired proofs are not worth much. Maybe $1 or $2.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The proofs I find go back into the rolls. The hollowed out half looks like a magicians coin. Sorry that you are giving up on halves. Guess that means more for me in NC. :)

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I collect the proofs that I find in circulation and have an Intercept Shield album I am trying to put together from circulation coins. I have found 9 this year that went into my book.

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
The_EE said:
In the last $7000 worth of halves, I have found a single 40% and 90% half. I think I am giving up too.

Giving up seems to be the trend lately. Seems like it is getting to be less and less keepers faster than expected. Hardly worth the effort if you only pull a few here and there. Might as well take the saved gas money and go buy some at spot.

OP
OP
K

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some in NC might think it's more silver for them, but if you are buying 20 or 30 boxes of halves a week, counting all the gas you use running around picking them up, then taking them back to banks, and you score only one or two 40%ers or even 90%ers you are losing money right and left. If gas was back to 38 cents a gallon like when I was younger...lol...it would be a different story. And factor in all the time you spend looking through the rolls. I enjoy doing it but don't enjoy getting no keepers and then hauling them back to the bank. Driving is not to bad for me since I have at least 3 WF branches real close to me and more if I want to go just a little further, but knowing what some others do in my area in terms of amount of boxes, I think there is going to come a time when they put a stop to CRHing or start applying the charges like some states are doing. So I switched up for the next shipment...which I missed since they didn't tell me they had to order early cause of the holiday Monday...and am getting 1K in $2 bills, which I personally love, some boxes of pennies, dimes and nickels and see what pops up in all that mess. I have found some pretty good consecutive $2 bills mint or near mint, a red seal and some other older $2 bills in the few packs I have ordered so I'll see what I get out of 1K. Should be a nice switch for awhile. Not saying I won't do halves again down the road, but I do think this area is too much hit and miss.....mostly miss....for quite awhile now. Haven't come across any of my markings which is a surprise since I mark a whole roll if I get pissed off and find nothing in a box...haha..along with the others I mark in every roll but I know a friend that found some of my marks a few weeks back in one of his boxes. So I know they are recirculating around here with Loomis.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Giving up seems to be the trend lately. Seems like it is getting to be less and less keepers faster than expected. Hardly worth the effort if you only pull a few here and there. Might as well take the saved gas money and go buy some at spot.

I was obviously joking, I have had an 11 box skunk streak, it happens. I wont be going anywhere any time soon. The only thing that will keep me from CRH is no job.

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm averaging 1 40% per box here in Austin, TX. I figured I'd be pulling 25 to 40 keepers per box like everyone else does. Some folks on here have the most amazing fantastic incredible luck.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm averaging 1 40% per box here in Austin, TX. I figured I'd be pulling 25 to 40 keepers per box like everyone else does. Some folks on here have the most amazing fantastic incredible luck.

When I put my first order in for half boxs I couldn't sleep the night before thinking every one would have 50-100 worth of silver....hahahahahahahhaha RUDE AWAKENING !

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
The_EE said:
I was obviously joking, I have had an 11 box skunk streak, it happens. I wont be going anywhere any time soon. The only thing that will keep me from CRH is no job.

Oh, hahahaha

OP
OP
K

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to worry, I take any comments with a grain of silver.....I mean salt. I am just going to lay off halves for awhile and dive into some of the other coins to see what I can find. I think this area is getting hit too heavy and there's not much silver getting circulated back into the boxes. That's just my opinion, though. I just don't have the heart to keep searching dud boxes of half dollars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread