3oz Pendant

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple years ago I found this object along a river bank in Pennsylvania. It weighs 3 troy ounces and has a density of 10.91g/cm3...a density between silver and lead.

I've talked with numerous experts, including world-renowned forensic geologist Scott Wolter from the History channel's series America Unearthed. Everyone agrees that it has a man made hole in the top and that it is most likely a pendant or an amulet. However, no one has seen anything like it or are they able to confirm it's origin. I've been told that it could be Jesuit, Viking or Alchemist.

A few months back, I was privately contacted by someone who claimed to have recognized a few of the symbols on it. They asked, " Did you find the object near a known cave?" I replied "Which symbols do you recognize?". I've never heard from them again.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 0605161909[1].jpg
    0605161909[1].jpg
    849.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Will Penn 2 (2).jpg
    Will Penn 2 (2).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Will Penn (1).jpg
    Will Penn (1).jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 657
Upvote 9

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead fishing weight?

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would take it to a precious metals dealer that has an XRF machine. X ray flourescence will tell the exact composition of the metal it is made of, without harming it. My local dealer charges $5.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is cool. I do hope you find out. Please update if you do get useful information.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic find & congrats - when you find out more about it please post - anyway thanks for sharing your pictures and story.

Texas ED

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OLE INJUN PENDANT ?????

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe Tony got it right. What you have is a old lead fishing weight and a helluva imagination :laughing7:

Last edited:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Looks like a fishing sinker to me but I'm no expert. I've found a few homemade ones over the years and they're always pretty cool.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different, ,, we can all go somewhere with this one.
Might be Colonial,, as in Colonial Warrior Amulet.
I saw something similar while aboard the Battlestar Galactica.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just seeing the photo, and before reading any comments, "homemade sinker" was the first thing that popped into my head.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope that it is something really good... but, it looks like a weight for the bottom of a fishing net... and that white patina makes me think lead.

OP
OP
D

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have a picture of a lead weight that looks like this? Thanks

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Does anyone have a picture of a lead weight that looks like this? Thanks

When folks made their own sinkers they used what ever they could find to make them with. Also duck decoy weights. I have found a lot of home made sinkers. Anything they could find to contain the lead after it was melted.

I really do think it was a sinker someone made. The lead melted in a weird shape on top or bottom and that is why the indent. NO expert by any means. However, it really appears to be lead because of the white patina.

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i look very carefully ..i can just make out the markings..III oz....some fishermen even to this day mark there sinkers

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say go ahead and have it tested lead or silver, heck it's only 5 bucks to get it done.
O and once I read that you had Scott Wolter look at it he narrated the rest of your post for me haha

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I see that Fred has made several thread about his "ancient silver pendant" over the years and and is still not getting the answer that he is looking for. Each time the overall consensus is that it is a homemade lead weight. Clearly Fred believes that it is something else and is entitled to believe that. The fact is that what you have is a lead weight and an over active imagination. The William Penn bust impression is simply a coincidence and nothing more. It is hard to be convinced of the truth when you want so badly to believe something else. I have seen it many times on tnet and it has even happened to me before.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see that Fred has made several thread about his "ancient silver pendant" over the years and and is still not getting the answer that he is looking for. Each time the overall consensus is that it is a homemade lead weight. Clearly Fred believes that it is something else and is entitled to believe that. The fact is that what you have is a lead weight and an over active imagination. The William Penn bust impression is simply a coincidence and nothing more. It is hard to be convinced of the truth when you want so badly to believe something else. I have seen it many times on tnet and it has even happened to me before.

Wouldn't necessarily say over-active. Just... Active. :) It's a cool find nonetheless. The likeness that he outlined looks like a Simpson's character. Look at that shnozz!

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread