Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

I posted this curious piece of sand cast brass a few weeks ago in the "What is it" forum with the hopes to finding a definitive ID. While I knew it was a long shot, I figured the curly-cue tail feature might be enough to verify its origins. After endless hours of searching similar images online, I had nearly given up. On a whim, Gheenoe78 asked me to share a few pictures of the 3rd regimental button recovered in Charleston eariler this year. Looking to share the button variant, I opened the section of Troiani's book referencing the 3rd Regiment of Foot- staring me in the face was a dragon motif with a curly-cue tail...made of brass...my eureka moment! :laughing7: I pulled the piece out of my unknown pile and laid it carefully on Troiani's image. Well I think I may finally have an ID- a partial 3rd regiment of foot bayonet belt plate! While there are some slight cast differences, a few of the features line up perfectly (orientation, dragon wing lines, foot placement, tail curl). After 230 years, my first Revolutionary War dig is reunited with a plate partial from the same regiment. As always, please feel free to weigh in

20151026_065011_resized.jpg 20151110_230044_resized.jpg 20151110_230714_resized.jpg 20151110_225513_resized.jpg

Upvote 13

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job realizing that fragment was something good, lots of guys would have missed it. So cool that you dug and reunited those two artifacts.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap! You must of been real good at puzzles?
How the hell you picked that out Jon?
Congrats. Get back there and find the rest, or a whole one..

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy crap! You must of been real good at puzzles?
How the hell you picked that out Jon?
Congrats. Get back there and find the rest, or a whole one..

Haha thanks George, something about the way it was cast made me think it was worth keeping. Never figured it might be part of a plate

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is pretty darn amazing. I so hope you find an intact one someday. How amazing would that be? Great job on that Id

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's always a good thing not to toss things out, this is a perfect example of matching it up and now it becomes a piece of history instead of a piece of :dontknow:. Good eye!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't even know what to say... that's just unbelievable that you were able to ID that. Very impressive. Nice find too... but the ID has my mouth hanging open...

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great ID on that piece and I see what you are saying about it not being an absolutely perfect match--it's 95% as far as I can tell. It could be a bit earlier or later than the plate in the book. Any other similar regimental plates in the book?

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great ID on that piece and I see what you are saying about it not being an absolutely perfect match--it's 95% as far as I can tell. It could be a bit earlier or later than the plate in the book. Any other similar regimental plates in the book?

Hey Erik, that is the only example in the book I'm afraid. Given it was sand cast, some variety is reasonable but I'll post an update if I can track down another example. Have to say, I never realized the 3rd had a dragon associated with the unit.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a fantastic job on the ID! I know you're proud of that one.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost count of how many IDs I found whilst looking for others, sometimes years later. Congrats

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow Jon! Very impressive find and even more impressive ID! Congrats. Y'all are finding some great relics down in the lowcountry.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow Jon! Very impressive find and even more impressive ID! Congrats. Y'all are finding some great relics down in the lowcountry.

Thanks Darby, still up for a hunt in your neck of the woods :laughing7: or feel free to head down to the low country

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread