Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

I posted this curious piece of sand cast brass a few weeks ago in the "What is it" forum with the hopes to finding a definitive ID. While I knew it was a long shot, I figured the curly-cue tail feature might be enough to verify its origins. After endless hours of searching similar images online, I had nearly given up. On a whim, Gheenoe78 asked me to share a few pictures of the 3rd regimental button recovered in Charleston eariler this year. Looking to share the button variant, I opened the section of Troiani's book referencing the 3rd Regiment of Foot- staring me in the face was a dragon motif with a curly-cue tail...made of brass...my eureka moment! :laughing7: I pulled the piece out of my unknown pile and laid it carefully on Troiani's image. Well I think I may finally have an ID- a partial 3rd regiment of foot bayonet belt plate! While there are some slight cast differences, a few of the features line up perfectly (orientation, dragon wing lines, foot placement, tail curl). After 230 years, my first Revolutionary War dig is reunited with a plate partial from the same regiment. As always, please feel free to weigh in

20151026_065011_resized.jpg 20151110_230044_resized.jpg 20151110_230714_resized.jpg 20151110_225513_resized.jpg

Upvote 13

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't hardly add to what the others have said here. Amazing job of identification......just amazing.

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
awesome that you knew it was part of something, i would have totally thought it was junk.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
07 DANG NICE PEICE OF REV WAR RELIC . IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT BOOK YOU HAVE WITH THE PHOTO FOR IT LOOKS LIKE THE SAME ONE I HAVE AND ITS CHOCKED WITH NEAT PLATES , CAPS AND OTHER INTERESTING FINDS. HOPE YOU FIND THE REST .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread