4/13/11 Halves Box - Odd Composition Bicentennial Half

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
I searched another Garda box today. Wasn't much there besides about 1 roll of clad mint states, but it wasn't a skunk. I did find a 1974 impaired clad proof, and a 1976 silvery colored bic with no clad showing on the rim.

The proof was reflecting so bright that it was hard to get a pic that wasn't washed out :dontknow:

Bob

Edit: Corrected above mention of silver bic, added pics of the rim of this odd coin.

Attachments

• silverybic6.jpg
    silverybic6.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 272
  • silverybic7.jpg
    silverybic7.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 293
  • 04132011 IP Bic.jpg
    04132011 IP Bic.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 398
  • silverybic6.jpg
    silverybic6.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 290
  • silverybic7.jpg
    silverybic7.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Todays Halves Box - 4/13/11

If that bicentennial is silver, I think you have an error I have never heard of. I believe the silver bicentennials have an "S" mintmark.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Arkie is right. All the 1976 Kennedys that were 40% had an S mintmark, some were proof strike and some were circulation strike.

Better try the sound test on that coin.

Jim

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee

jim4silver said:
Arkie is right. All the 1976 Kennedys that were 40% had an S mintmark, some were proof strike and some were circulation strike.

Better try the sound test on that coin.

Jim
I tried the drop sound test. It doesn't sound like a clad, a 40%, or a 90%. It's sound is higher pitch than a clad, but lower pitch than a 40%. It has no copper showing on the rim at all, it has a 90% silver looking rim, which is how I spotted it. Maybe someone took a clad and silver-plated it, or maybe it's counterfeit. It sure looks genuine though. Hmmm, I wonder if it could be a test strike on a non-standard planchet

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you have a scale to weigh it. If so, compare the weight to another 40%er. Still, nice finds.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can you take a picture of the rim?? It should be a 40% silver half being a bicentennial proof, but there should be an S. If you have 90% bicentennial proof with no mintmark, your probably the only person in history to ever find one and you'll be rich over night. Chances are it's a regular old bicentennial.

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee

timbobwey said:
Can you take a picture of the rim?? It should be a 40% silver half being a bicentennial proof, but there should be an S. If you have 90% bicentennial proof with no mintmark, your probably the only person in history to ever find one and you'll be rich over night. Chances are it's a regular old bicentennial.
Here's a couple of pics of the rim. I added them to my original post and edited it.

As you can see, absolutely no hint of a clad seam anywhere. It doesn't look like a proof as it has a silvery matte finish on the obverse and reverse. Honestly, it looks like it could be made of the same cupro-nickel that nickels are made of, but I've never heard of a solid cupro-nickel half. That's why I was wondering if it is a test strike on a non-standard planchet. The weight is actually .1 gram lighter than all of the clad bic's here that I weighed!

Bob

Attachments

• silverybic6.jpg
    silverybic6.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 295
  • silverybic7.jpg
    silverybic7.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 292

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just for curiosities sake, take a magnet to it.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
It is possible it could be a foreign coin planchet stuck with a half dollar die. I believe a poster a few months ago found like a Thai $5 blank that was struck with half dollar dies. I can't find the post right now however.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread