4 brinks boxes today

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sixteen??!! ??? I can hardly afford half a box a month, save some for us little guys. :(

Keep @ it and HH!! :wink:

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
that is another thing i have thought about. i have been doing 10K sometimes a little more in halves for about 3 months now. i hope that my area is not depleted of silver, but when i first started i was pulling 100+ silvers a week with several bens and walkers. now it seems like i am lucky to pull 20 a week, and most of the bens and walkers have all but disappeared. any thoughts or theories?

S

seger98

silvercop said:
that is another thing i have thought about. i have been doing 10K sometimes a little more in halves for about 3 months now. i hope that my area is not depleted of silver, but when i first started i was pulling 100+ silvers a week with several bens and walkers. now it seems like i am lucky to pull 20 a week, and most of the bens and walkers have all but disappeared. any thoughts or theories?

You might have cleaned up a bit, maybe hold off a month doing other coins & then give it a try again on the halves, maybe some people will have cashed in some savings by then. Just a thought!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
silvercop said:
Maybe you are getting your own dumped coin back.

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:

I dont want to make enemys here.......I am very happy with this forum and enjoy all the posts I get to read. I thought I'd voice my opinion because you asked. My theory.........These coins were hunting are at least 45 years old . Hunting 10K a week.......Thats 20 boxes ....20,000 pieces. How many coins this old do you expect to find in a short amount of time? I love the hobby and been doing it 3 months now. I do a few road trips and order 2-4 boxes a week and its hard finding the time for that. I cant see where someone gets the time or resources for 12, 16, or 20+ boxes a week. Banks I deal with cringe at ordering a box or 2....and so do the dump banks. With all those boxes some are doing a week.....no wonder banks wont order any boxes,charge fees for ordering, or wont accept dumps. Dont kill a great hobby! The well will definately run dry.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
well terry i see your point and i would never take offense to anyone's comments or opinions. when i first started hunting myself about 3 months ago i had been watching this board for about 3 months before i started hunting. i was amazed at some of the findings that some of the people here were posting. i sent a pm to some of them and asked for tips on how i could be as successful as they were and all of them said one thing--volume volume volume. so i closed out my savings account and cashed in 3 cd's that i have had for years and started coin roll hunting. the interest the bank was paying was nothing anyway and i thought i would get a better return on my money to coin roll hunt awhile. that is where i got my funds. as for the time, my wife helps me search, and sometimes my son does too. my son is a college student and he has alot of time on his hands. me and my wife usually hunt a few hours everyday in the evenings and most of the time we only edge search. can do a box in no time that way. i know i probably miss alot of other things but right now i am only searching for the silver, if i run up on a proof, or commem i keep it but i am not looking for them. i also don't care nothing about nifc coins. and i don't know enough about errors or have the eye sight or patience to look for them.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
one more thing i do not look at anyone here as an enemy, although there are some here that i like more than others, but all in all i enjoy the information i get from the guys here, and if someone did offend me i would just ignore them....

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
silvercop...one way to look at it is the more you do the more you should get, but to be honest with you I've had good luck with road trips and especially customer rolls in poor areas. When your area is depleted the only thing you can do is find locations where people are less fortunate (poorer areas), smaller towns or perhaps even switch denomination. If the silver wants to be found it will be.

I have not really gotten into the multiple box routine, but I find satisfaction in dimes when I can't get halves. Good luck with your boxes.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
There is nothing wrong with your approach.

Depending on the area you live in and the frequency that your source (Brinks/Loomis/Dunbar) re roll the incoming coin and redistribute, you may have combed out your resource. you might want to consider cutting back to a more manageable amount as to not upset you buy and dump source.

I take a couple dozen of the dirtiest coin in each box once in a while to see if I'm getting my own dumps back, and I am (about 4 months) from my last tagged batch.

Consider some sort of initials and date system. If you were to tag this week you might use a thin sharpie and tag 20 worn or dirty coins from each box this week with your initials and 21009. and than go about your normal routine till you see your tags come back if you see them again than you have learned some important information.

21009 = Feb 10Th 2009 or you could shorten it to 2/9 for Feb 2009

At this point it seems all you are going to net are new deposits of silver made recently as you may have closed the loop in your supply chain, and leared the stock that your source is distributing from.

Hope this helps.

Mojo

P.S. for all you coin marking protesters... I did say limited to dirty or worn out coin.

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
A few suggestions come to mind. I would consider finding new banks that can order from a different supplier or area. Then, since you are doing a large volume, you could try dumping in a neighboring area. It might mix it up a bit. You possibly are getting your own dumps back. Boxes are getting bad everywhere. You have to consider how much volume a company such as Brinks goes through. Once all the boxes in storage have been searched, the good old boxes are gone. If a collection gets thrown into the hopper, it gets spread over many different boxes. So, it is obvious most newer boxes won't be like they used to be.

Also, try the road trip idea. That's where you will find those "dream rolls".

Good Luck.
cmhoose

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
Silvercop I agree with most of the posters here, you have probably hunted your area dry due to the high volume of coins you are searching. I would scale back heavily and try a new denomination. That may give you a greater appreciation of the hobby. I would also buy a red book, if you don't already have one, and educate yourself on the error coins and commeratives. They are really fun to find too. :thumbsup:

HH,
Bank Runner

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Silver cop,

It seems like you might should scale back on the halves a bit and mix up what you search. Try to hit up dimes full force for a while and see how you do. Maybe even try to find some War nickels or the elusive silver quarters. Just because halves are drying up does not mean your area is not rich in other denominations.

Golden Silver

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
My Friend
I think also you might need to let the half dollars build back up and try the dimes.
I love the dimes!!!!!!!!
The tellers sell me 3-4 hundred dollars worth at any branch I go to and I have found 147 silver dimes in one month.
I always ask for half dollars and when they do not have any I say "how about some dimes"
They look at me strange and say how many you want.
It is not unusual for me to search through $1000.00 or more every day.
I get 7 boxes of half dollars a week myself :P
Keep looking my friend.
And, most of all enjoy.!!!
And,be safe at work :thumbsup: :coffee2:
HH
Dan

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i think that if your doing that large a volume and there is no demand from others...you may just be recycling through your own dumps...lets say they pulled the the 20 boxes you ordered all week ...by the time you pick up your last boxes your dumps from earlier in the week are already back at the sorter. since they don't rotate the stock they get placed back on top of the pallet only to go back to you.the only answer i found and one that would be impossible for most if not all of us to do would be to hold out your dumps till your new order is in and then dump. perhaps this may get you deeper into unsearched territory :-\
P.S. for all you coin marking protesters... I did say limited to dirty or worn out coin
i know....i'm one of them...and a dirty worn one is better than the others but i still don't see how this helps.
it is inevitable if you are dumping at the same branch serviced by the same armored car service your gonna get some of your stuff back. so if you already know this how does it help to prove it? do you switch carriers as soon as you see your dumps back? i'm just trying to understand.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
mistergee said:
P.S. for all you coin marking protesters... I did say limited to dirty or worn out coin
i know....I'm one of them...and a dirty worn one is better than the others but i still don't see how this helps.
it is inevitable if you are dumping at the same branch serviced by the same armored car service your gonna get some of your stuff back. so if you already know this how does it help to prove it? do you switch carriers as soon as you see your dumps back? I'm just trying to understand.

In my case I wasn't sure if my dump bank shipped to Loomis or Brinks. 2 major distributers in my area. It took 4 months to see the coins i tagged in Aug. sooooo What i learned was that my dump bank does indeed contract with brinks to clear their coin counter and I should maybe find a source that contracts Loomis to Buy from..... ? :icon_scratch: ....... I think.

Or at least in this case it took 4 months for those coins to complete the loop.

Mojo

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Silvercop. Am I on the side of CRhunters that you like more than others?

I say keep looking in high volume but mark some of your coins.

DW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread