johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mountainman, I just discovered this site and your posting. First off, AWESOME!!! secondly, throw those "appraisals" out the window!! They are useless when evaluating something of such historic significance. Such appraisals are particularly meaningless to real historians who's interest is provenance rather than the "condition" and "grading" used by stamp and coin collectors. It looks like you have a real shot at proving some provenance! Remember that you have clearly found a "set" which is in itself rare, and the in this case the "whole" is of far greater value than the "sum of the parts".

Your buttons were not randomly lost as most dug finds were, but instead were no doubt the remains of all that's left of a coat which was lost or forgotten, and subsequently dragged about. By researching the land records it is very possible you may find a link with a dignitary or politician who may have worn that coat.

Having found one of the rarer varieties of the inaugural button myself (across the river from you) I did the same thing I suggest to you; find who owned the land, study the route to New York, review battles or engagements that might have taken place nearbye (and which may have been revisited after the war), and put a picture together of what might have happened.

In my case the "laurel wreath" button was suggested to have been worn by General Monroe, the In where I found it was within eyesight of one of his engagements; it was an area where he re couperated; and it was on route to (or from) N.Y.. The button has provenance beyond value as a generic object, just as your set already has far more value as a set, and perhaps much more when you put two and two and together.

You've made the find of a lifetime, and in a stomping ground dear to my heart, and where the humblest appearing locations are steeped in history. Congratulations! and good luck linking even more provenance to this astounding find!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad this one was brought to the top. Simply incredible finds. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great nice to see history preserved. You said there was a pond that was larger at some point. This maybe why they camped here? I can think of several reason why the coat was left or not retrieved.
I think a good search of that water area will produce more finds. steve

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to resurrect this long dead post. I wanted to add an interesting pc of information i just discovered now. At the same location that the GWs were found, i had also found a small cufflink sporting a fox and the word Tallio over it. Just now, i researched it and found something very interesting about this cufflink. Here's the link. https://livesandlegaciesblog.org/2015/12/02/tallio-fox-hunting-at-christmas/

And the actual cufflink.
s

Attachments

• 20161011_0001.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 266

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. Your buttons were found before I got into the hobby. Congrats on a fantastic find and thanks for sharing

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never get tired of looking at those buttons. Congrats on the cuff link...I've seen quite a few of them posted over the years. The posters either write Tallio or Tally-Ho so I'm not sure if there are two types with different spelling or if people are taking their own liberties when posting.

I hope you are well. I haven't been real active on here lately but looking to change that and get out a little more.

NJ (John)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions