May 6, 2009
NC USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a trip to England to hunt with ChicagoRon and had an incredible time. I pulled 4 hammered silvers, 4 milled silver and two rare buttons. One is a 13th Light Dragoons button and the other is Royal Corp of Colchester Volunteers. I also got buckets full of buttons and a bag of greenies which was mostly 1600-1700 coppers. Not to mention all kids of relics back to Roman times.

IMG_2195.jpg

Here is a video of the trip:

Last edited:
Upvote 6

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Immediately my eyes were drawn to the top right hammered. Its a pretty Rare Durham mint under under Bishop Shirwood!

Need the other side to be sure but here is a similar example:
Record ID: PUBLIC-2AE966 - MEDIEVAL coin - Database

The top left York mint is of some interest as its double stuck, if you look at the 'R' in EBO'R'ACI it looks more like an 'S' & the bottom right of the coin shows the shadow of the double strike.

The bottom 2 are pretty common, I bet someone once that their first ever hammered would be a Lizzy Halfgroat & it was. They were produced in vast numbers & is my most common hammered find. The other looks to be a Henry III cut halfpenny (was a voided longcross penny).

The early Militia & early 19th C buttons are hard to get & are a nice addition to the collection.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! It must be really great finding coins and items that old, you just wish it could talk!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Crusader for your wealth of information. You are a real asset to the hobby. I was thrilled to find a hammered but to find 4 was even better. And to know that a couple are harder to find is even better. Here are better pix of the finds.
halfpenny8.jpg halfpenny8f.jpg edwardpenny16f.jpg edwardpenny16.jpg elizabeth1sthalfgroat7.jpg elizabeth1sthalfgroat7F.jpg ham10.jpg ham10f.jpg

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cut half Irish :icon_thumleft: in 14 years of detecting and hundreds of hammered, I have yet to have any Irish hammered :dontknow:

SS

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverSearcher...WOW! That puts it in perspective. I am amazed. My once in a lifetime hunt is turning out to be just that for sure! In addition, according to some sources the 13th Lt Dragoon button is one of only 4 ever dug and is not documented outside of Colchester. The Colchester Volunteer button I have been told is also extremely rare. I guess my ancient ancestors from the area were looking out for me.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverSearcher...WOW! That puts it in perspective. I am amazed. My once in a lifetime hunt is turning out to be just that for sure! In addition, according to some sources the 13th Lt Dragoon button is one of only 4 ever dug and is not documented outside of Colchester. The Colchester Volunteer button I have been told is also extremely rare. I guess my ancient ancestors from the area were looking out for me.
The two hammerds York and Durham Mint are of interest to me, were both ID... as I live in between York and Durham.

Dug up a bit more info on the buttons...

13th LT Dragoons... second pattern...1783-c1820..

LOYAL COLCHESTER VOLUNTEERS around shield and cross, ​First raised in 1797 and stood down in 1801. Re-raised in 1803 as a much larger affair, they opted to become Local Militia and became the 3rd Essex LM in 1809...c1797-1809 ​

SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the items are still in the UK being reviewed for export license. I hope to get them back in a couple of months. Once I do I will report what they are. Thanks again.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of the other finds.
13thlightdragoons.jpg mil5.jpg coinweight6.jpg 1816.jpg 1819.jpg 1885three2.jpg 1819-1.jpg coinweight7.jpg imperialservice.jpg tradeweight.jpg soldier.jpg mount9.jpg frencharmy.jpg

Attachments

• 1819f.jpg
    1819f.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
That's awesome Jim. Great finds. Great experience!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yeap now I see the reverse of the Irish cut half, its pretty unusual as well, I will get my book out later & see if I can ID it.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The York Mint Hammered is I believe a HenryV1 first reign, 1422-146. Civitas Eboraci. Rossette Mascle issue 1430-31 York Mint.

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeap now I see the reverse of the Irish cut half, its pretty unusual as well, I will get my book out later & see if I can ID it.

Just checked the book & its a Henry III (like I first thought) but never guessed it was Irish!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have done well Jim, I would love to make it over there for some detecting, Mudlarking and diving. It's on the bucket list for sure.
Congrats and I am glad you didn't come back with only pictures.
ZDD

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote:
''In addition, according to some sources the 13th Lt Dragoon button is one of only 4 ever dug and is not documented outside of Colchester.''

Just realised I've got a 13 LD but not as nice as yours. No where near Colchester.:thumbsup: Check your sources carefully, lots of made up assumptions by those that don't know better.(PS. there is more than 4)

These 2 were near Maidstone:
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=10044&cat=all
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=19105&cat=all

Attachments

• 13 over LD.JPG
    13 over LD.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote:
''In addition, according to some sources the 13th Lt Dragoon button is one of only 4 ever dug and is not documented outside of Colchester.''

Just realised I've got a 13 LD but not as nice as yours. No where near Colchester.:thumbsup: Check your sources carefully, lots of made up assumptions by those that don't know better.
Your hardly a million miles away from Colchester, it wouldn't have had to travel far.

SS

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I misunderstood what my UK sources said about the button. Either way it will be a jewel in my collection. Thank you for your input.

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a trip you had !! Great finds , real history dug up :headbang:Congrats
Glen

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim very well done and certainly worth the plane ticket! Very hard to go back to wheat pennies after pulling history like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread