4 hours at the Berg with my son-some oddball stuff!

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
4 hours at the 'Berg with my son-some oddball stuff!

After sleeping off the effects of the Italian Festival Friday night (too many beers>for me< and too much pasta) we awoke at Noon and headed for an afternoon hunt at the Iceberg. We didn't pack in much food or drink and temps were in the 80s so we figured 3-4 hrs max)
After arriving I began using my root saw to clear brush from an area where Nate was killing the silver last time we were there (the day for the wheat contest). I spent nearly an hour clear cutting an area that was previously impassable (and created a humungous brush pile in doing so).
Right away I started hitting wheats (no surprise) but after an hour still hadn't scored any wilver >:(
Spencer came running over and asked me what in the world a coin he just found was. I used some water from my camelback to clean it a bit and right away saw the CCCP and told him he found a Soviet coin! 1935 1 Konenka(the second N is backwards) I have no idea how rare or if it has any value but it cleaned up great.
Shortly after in a hole that had already produced a dozen wheats a 1948D Rosie emerged. Wilver at last :D
The hole was still warbling and the DFX then homed in on a 1936 Buffalo nickle with a clear date (also cleaned up great)
Also found was a 1908 Municipal Traction Co. 3 cent ticket token. Some research on this token found out that the Co. and tokens were only used a few years and in Cleveland Ohio there was much turmoil (and riots and fights) over the rearranging of it's rail lines in the early 1900s. Here's a link to some info on it. Again, I have no idea of it's value.

http://books.google.com/books?id=vI...HKe8&sig=j3BZMxQkdkp7riVGkY6F-ban08U#PPA71,M1

That's whats so great about this hobby is the stories these items tell and their way of enriching our lives with their history. Far more value most times then the metal content (IMO).
We ended up with 56 wheats and about the same amt. of early mems. About a dozen wheats were early 20s and the oldest was a 1913.

Here a few pics. Hope you enjoy them as much as we enjoyed the hunt.

Area cleared of brush that I hunted
DSCF1110.JPG
Brush pile created
DSCF1111.JPG
Spencer holding his Soviet coin!
DSCF1112.JPG
Spencer and I in the Jungle
DSCF1113.JPG
total finds on the cooler at the Berg
DSCF1114.JPG
Finds cleaned up
DSCF1116.JPG
closeup obverses
DSCF1117.JPG
reverses
DSCF1118.JPG

HH all!

Upvote 0

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Re: 4 hours at the 'Berg with my son-some oddball stuff!

You've ventured into an exotic part of the Berg!

As always. Love the photos!

Congrats!

Ridley

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Way to go, bud! At least you found a wilvery coin! That DFX kicks some a$$! :)

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

KirkPA said:
Way to go, bud! At least you found a wilvery coin! That DFX kicks some a$$! :)

DFX?? That's my Ace350

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dang! What a brush pile! :P But it sure paid off! Great coins and relics for you two!

Way to go! Nana :)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dan,
Very good post. Congrats to you and your son for some more cool finds. Great variety.
I would have been beat just clearing out that section you did. ;D
I agree with you on the history part of some finds. Although old coins are great to find, I love finding old buttons just as much. A lot of folks I noticed could care less about the buttons. ???
Way to go guys.
-MM-

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

CarolinaDigs said:
Really good digs :) I am fasinated with the Ice Berg Posts ;D

Thanks...I think we're gonna keep hitting that place until it stops giving up. There's some farily large unexplored areas that initial hunts have revealed scattered coins (and much trash) so there's a lot left to dig. The area that produced so much silver last fall is pretty played out.

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

congrats danimal that rusky cion is cool 1 heck of spot you guy's got there good luck and hh

Eljeef

Greenie
Apr 26, 2005
The elephant's snout.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Fisher Aquanaut 1280x, White's Coinmaster 6000

Hi. I have read about the Iceberg for a little while but what got me all warm and fuzzy was seeing a father and son genuinely enjoying each other's company and pursuing a shared hobby. :)

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

the dfx is a great machine,, but the ace 350 puts it to shame......... :o :o
great digs there,,,,, ;D ;D ;D ;D

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Talk about dedication! You guys may account for every wheat penny ever lost!

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Green1 said:
the dfx is a great machine,, but the ace 350 puts it to shame......... :o :o
great digs there,,,,, ;D ;D ;D ;D

LOL...the ACE350 logo actually looked great when I first did it. It's a little worse for wear now. I did it as a joke for the DFX-Only hunt in April, but NO ONE EVEN NOTICED IT!!!
BTW, it's on electrical tape so it'll peel right off. Wouldn't deface the DFX like that permanently. :P

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like you guys had a good time. That's exactly what I was planning on doing the next trip there: hacking some brush away. I hope the pile doesnt interfere with too much of our hunting space though. Anyway, the token is VERY cool...nice to see that age show up also.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Nate in Ohio said:
Looks like you guys had a good time. That's exactly what I was planning on doing the next trip there: hacking some brush away. I hope the pile doesnt interfere with too much of our hunting space though. Anyway, the token is VERY cool...nice to see that age show up also.
The pile is where we all pretty much annihlated the wehats already (right in the middle)
Anyways Nate, the brush is all cut, so the pile could be moved pretty easily if you want to cover that area again (easier than it was cutting it in the first place)

Also, it'a right where your father started HIS brushpile ;D

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Some nice stuff Dan. That token is very neat. Clearing the brush is a lot of work but it's an effective way to grid. :)

I think you have the best method for cleaning Buffalo Nickels. The before and after pics are great.

I gotta catch up with my posts. Too many summer activities and teenage related activities/responsibilites. ::)

Bob

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

The Iceberg is a lot of work to detect huh, but well worth the rewards most times. You two did good, congrats on all the goodies. Keep em coming, good luck and thanks for sharing.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Boobydoo said:
The Iceberg is a lot of work to detect huh, but well worth the rewards most times. You two did good, congrats on all the goodies. Keep em coming, good luck and thanks for sharing.

Smiles!
BDoo

This time of year, yes, it's like Cambodia in there. Clearing brush in an area you HOPE has coins isn't as risky a venture here as it might be at other locations. Not much jewelry there tho BDoo, so you might be disapointed! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread