4 pieces that make you want to cry

Mooch

Dec 14, 2008
I've always like to collect really fine damged pieces. These were the 4 best that I was able to obtain in 2008. The Dovetail is made from Classic Flint Ridge and measures 5.75 inches long. The complete piece would of been over 6 in. The pipe bowl was found in Shelby Co, Il. The expanded center gorget would of been one of the finest ever found in illinois. The dalton is over 5.5 inches and was found in Dewitt Co. I wish they were all perfect but can appreciate them for what they have been .

Attachments

• one 001.JPG
    one 001.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 518
Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still nice pieces, I would get the Dalton restored, Make an excellent centre piece for a frame.
Thanks for sharin' Mooch.

Molly.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Your Dalton appears to have been used for several applications, as all of the edges appear to have been reworked.
The indent nearest the base looks like to have been used as a spoke shave or knife, the tip section a perforator, still the point is functional and hafted would still produce the desired result. A point showing these varied applications is a unique find much rarer than an unaltered point. Part of a "Paleo tool kit". Leave it alone!

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Rege-PA said:
Your Dalton appears to have been used for several applications, as all of the edges appear to have been reworked.
The indent nearest the base looks like to have been used as a spoke shave or knife, the tip section a perforator, still the point is functional and hafted would still produce the desired result. A point showing these varied applications is a unique find much rarer than an unaltered point. Part of a "Paleo tool kit". Leave it alone!

I have to agree, the Dalton is clearly reworked. It may not be as pretty as a Dalton in it's original form but it sure is more interesting, I would'nt think of altering it.

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Yeap, made my eyes well up. Killer pieces.

Attachments

• one_001[1].jpg
    one_001[1].jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 395

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY NICE INDEED! How come you didn't wash the blood stain off the one on the left, did you cut yourself while getting it out of the box? ;D JK

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Very nice pieces Mooch, I love the pipe. Those pieces are invaluable to a collector who wants to collect authentic pieces. We can learn as much if not more from broken pieces as we can whole ones. I had a similar thing with a huge flint ridge dove this weekend. The only problem is I didn't win it at an auction! It would have been huge though with just the base missing it was still near 6"

Hippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread