4 Sundays hunting a Virgin Confederate campsite

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro & Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was going to post last week but now I am glad I waited. Myself and a few friends along with my brother had done some research on a area that we thought was just as skirmish site along lee's retreat and what we found was so much more. Now keep in mind I am posting only my finds from the past 4 sundays.

I have more bullets and a few other relics that are in the category of none descript. But the one I am about show are very descript.

Now here is a description of the relics found by my friends.

1 clip cornered war of 1812 Should Strap buckle
80 2 ringer bullets 5 Enfields and one rare shotgun slug along with various three ringers.
1 block "I" button
1 Alabama Volunteer Corp button
1 Viginia Staff button in two pieces
2 North Carolina buttons ( besides my two )
1 federal eagle button
About a half a ton of scrap steel from the plow fields. LOL
Various flat butons
1 1828 large penny

And I promise I will try to get images to show

And now my images. And I remind you this is a confederate camp site that has not been hunted, the ground was so hot with hot rocks it would have driven most mad but we dug in so to speak and this the fruits of our labor.

Attachments

• DSC_2620.jpg
    DSC_2620.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,697
  • DSC_2621.jpg
    DSC_2621.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,685
  • DSC_2622.jpg
    DSC_2622.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,693
  • DSC_2626.jpg
    DSC_2626.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,696
  • DSC_2627.jpg
    DSC_2627.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,697
  • DSC_2628.jpg
    DSC_2628.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,690
  • DSC_2629.jpg
    DSC_2629.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,688
  • DSC_2630.jpg
    DSC_2630.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,694
Upvote 0

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! You should check behind you to make sure you don't have a wagon train following you next time you go. HH

OP
OP
genlee

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that is on the agenda for us. But this camsite is going to keep us busy for some time.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the awesome site find and relic recoveries! That is the prettiest patina US Plate ive ever seen. Good luck with the rest. I cant wait to see more!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!!! I would dig every signal!
lol @ the lead soldier :laughing9:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is some great investigating! Your efforts have certainly paid off in full and more~!!! The "US" buckle is incredible and, as another has stated, the patina is simply gorgeous.

Would you have a close up of the "lead soldier" for posting? I can't imagine what the intent could have been for making such a thing.......a gag, a show of "manliness", or simply a casting flaw?

OP
OP
genlee

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The soldier was actually dug some miles from the camp, but along the same route. It came from a site that yielded a 1796 flowing hair LC and three almost gone 1801 LC's The soldier was ment to be on a horse as this imples the design I also believe it to be a cast solider. As funny as it may seem i do not think it was intended for the amusement of the troops.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
That is some great investigating! Your efforts have certainly paid off in full and more~!!! The "US" buckle is incredible and, as another has stated, the patina is simply gorgeous.

Would you have a close up of the "lead soldier" for posting? I can't imagine what the intent could have been for making such a thing.......a gag, a show of "manliness", or simply a casting flaw?

I think the soldier was prolly mounted on a horse by that post, hence the bow legs.

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
Could be he was intended for a horse, but I will say that kind of humor was not at all alien to the soldiers. I have an extremely graphic tin opener I dug in a camp.

OP
OP
genlee

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also want to give mad props to my friends I hunt with, we have an agreement not to hunt the fields when the other is not there. Real friends in my book. Plus I can feel that there is at least one Confederate buckle in this field. I do know this that once we slowed down the good stuff started emerging.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getty said:
Roland58 said:

I think the soldier was prolly mounted on a horse by that post, hence the bow legs.

That seems so obvious, however, without the horse it has other suggestive appearances, ::) .

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet plate and great finds!!

OP
OP
genlee

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The badge is just a plain jane Police Badge from Columbus, OH no other markings exist and I found it at about 6 inches and 20 feet from there I found a burnside bullet and two three ringers. So who knows how old it is, I will take a closer picture of it tomorrow.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on finding a good site and being smart about it and keeping it quiet. Having an agreement about hunting together will maintain your friendship. You made some good finds. When I first saw the soldier, I thought it was the tin man from the Wizard of Oz. The "L' shaped brass piece may be part of a period picture frame if it's pretty thin or a buckle it's thick. Hunt it until you both come home empty handed. WTG and HH, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread