Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh no ,, no A/C somebody better do something and do it fast....

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Damn Trump.:laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Aunt lives blocks from the outage, I believe she said it stopped at 74th street, she is on 91st. Being without power in this heat in the city would not be something worth experiencing. :icon_thumleft:

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been without power before, imagine being without power when it's -50F that gets your attention especially when you don't know when it's coming back on.. When I remodeled my home I installed a nice wood stove that would heat my home nicely. I'd just get up throw some more wood in and go back to sleep. Had a nice Small quiet Honda gen set to run anything that needed power eventually...When you live in the Alaskan Bush you learn self efficiency.....

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been without power before, imagine being without power when it's -50F that gets your attention especially when you don't know when it's coming back on.. When I remodeled my home I installed a nice wood stove that would heat my home nicely. I'd just get up throw some more wood in and go back to sleep. Had a nice Small quiet Honda gen set to run anything that needed power eventually...When you live in the Alaskan Bush you learn self efficiency.....

Being without power in the country is child's play compared to being without power in the city. How you gonna flush a toilet in the city without electrical power? Now think of 40,000 others with full toilets.

You gotta run down to the bridge by the river and fetch a five gallon bucket of in drinkable non-potable water to flush the toilet, and it's totally dark out, and there are trolls armed with biricks and knives living under that bridge. There are places worse than being in the middle of nowhere, we call those places cities.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tell me a little about your experiences of being without power at -50F......

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
truthfully, no one dies from humidity

I call down here 'wet flank territory', some cannot tolerate sweat running down their sides.
but it does not kill

TN13

Feb 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think that would be my whole county :tongue3:

42 years ago last night was the big ny blackkout july 13, 1977

There was also a larger blackout around 2003. This was just a couple years after 9/11 so it didn't feel like as big a deal as may have otherwise felt. People were good. Some bodega's were emptying their freezers, handing out free ice cream and other treats instead of letting them melt and go to waste. I had to walk down 22 flights of stairs (elevator out) and then walk 4 miles to get home (mta was down and buses overloaded). It was actually a fond memory. I have a few photos of the manhattan skyline totally blacked out which was pretty cool at the time. And it was hot - I think heavily contributing to the power loss. Power was back on the next morning if I recall.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it was in January of 2007 that we had our last "real" power outage. There was 2" of ice on everything and trees and just the weight of the ice was dropping lines. A tree beside our house came down and sheared the service right off the side of our house. There were others that took out the line(s) along the road. It was over two weeks before someone got around to our road (and the power co was nice enough to reconnect our service at the house/meter).

Luckily it was cold out so we just moved the contents of the freezer to the back deck and the refrigerator to the unheated garage.

We have both wood and oil boilers so our heat and hot-water was supplied by firewood. Supplemental wood stove in the living room for additional heat and cooking. Since we lost the well pump I filled pails from the creek beside our house and heated them on the stove to transfer to Solar Showers we have from our boating days. Our five gallon "always on hand" drinking water supply had to be topped off. I did that at work (We also keep a case of pint water bottles on hand). If it had been a real disaster it could have come from the creek or snow melt and three minutes of boiling. We have wall sconce oil lamps, and portable ones for other areas. One Aladdin high output oil lamp ($$) for reading.

Our house is on the very end of a spur line that runs miles down a wooded roadway. We still can count on losing power at least three times in a winter. It's a nuisance but hardly a disaster.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have too many Outages Here.

one lasted 3 Days. Seemed they got everyone up Before us For Propaganda.

They didn't want to announce, We got 20 People Back on Today,
When they could do another area & announce they got 5000 On.

Those people in the Boodocks, Only 1 house in Size, Held to wait till dead last

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread