40 minute hunt with Mirage, Nate, Zoso and Growly!!...froze my a$$ off

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
My son Spencer was asked to catch this morning for a pitching clinic at an indoor baseball facility where he works out 2X/week. So, while he got all deer-eyed (he's 12, catching 14-15 yr olds) I met with the others in our band of merrymen and hunted a bit in an athletic field where some great finds have turned up this past year. The other three had been there almost an hour by the time I arrived with my dog Growly, so they were already wet and cold. Most of the plugs I dug filled with ice cold water before you could retrieve the target. I wussied out after only 40 min, but ended up with a couple wheats, two clad qwatters in one hole, and at about 8" I dug a small eagle button...looks like Navy, clutching the anchor with cannonballs. Dunno the age, but it appears quite old.
Here's the 4 of us chattering away (I must admit that Dave (Zoso) never complained)
12-2hunt 003.jpg
Here's a wheatie still encased in muck and then freed!
12-2hunt 001.jpg
12-2hunt 002.jpg
Here's the total small pile!
12-2hunt 005.jpg
And a closeup of the old eagle button
12-2hunt 006.jpg
HH all!!

Upvote 0

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Boy I bet you froze your butt off.That looks cold!Glad you got to hunt a little anyway.Nice button.

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
It was a nice quick hunt.. Kinda cold...My fingers got a little cold. But a quick change of gloves and I was ready to go.. I ended up with a bunch of clad and a crusty Wheat. If anyone is missing the "R" in Ford on there car or truck lemme know..I found a nice one.

Take care
ZoSo71

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brrr... I can almost see y'alls teeth chattering.

My fingers are numb just looking at the pics of the coin in the mud. :D

Anyway, great finds...love that Eagle button.

;) RR

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Awesome having a great group of buds to do some detecting with. Yep once the holes were filling up with cold water it would be time to leave for sure.

Still looks like a few goodies in the short hunt. Good call on leaving, the finds will still be there.

Congratulations on having lots of good friends to hunt with,

Postalrevnant

Don11971

Nov 27, 2006
WOOSTER, OHIO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Danimal,
What do you see in the top pic beside some cold hard core md'ers? looks like a start of md'ing club too me.
HH, Don

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
As you can see from the picture I was the only smart one with a wool hat. ;D Dan was lecturing my son on how important it was to keep your head and feet warm or else you loose circulation. Don't think the lecture helped as he went out today without a hat. ::) :D

I ended up with 6 wheat pennies. I did find one older (1918) wheat penny at the Park. It was around where we found those IH's. Also an old lamp part down about 10-11'" in the field at the park.

Bob

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Mirage said:
As you can see from the picture I was the only smart one with a wool hat. ;D Dan was lecturing my son on how important it was to keep your head and feet warm or else you loose circulation. Don't think the lecture helped as he went out today without a hat. ::) :D

I ended up with 6 wheat pennies. I did find one older (1918) wheat penny at the Park. It was around where we found those IH's. Also an old lamp part down about 10-11'" in the field at the park.

Bob

LOL Bob...kids will be kids, even at Nate's age...heck...MORESO at Nate's age they have to sometimes make that discovery for themselves.
As a public service I will state here what I was lecturing Nate about:
As the body loses heat in cold weather, it will do whatever it has to to keep it's core (the chest where the heart is located) warm. The first thing the body does is reduce circulations to the extremities (hands and feet). The key here is that over 80" of body heat lost is through the neck and head. While all the critical warmth is leaving your body, your head isn't what feels cold (because so much heat is flowing out around it).
So...wanna keep your hands and feet warmer?...bundle up your dome.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Come-on guys-- at Nate's age its not "cool" to wear a hat.
Gotta look tough for the Ladies--LOL. Glad I'm old,Very
married- -cause now I sure stay alot warmer- ;D ;D ;D
Looks like it was an enjoyable hunt
congrats & HH

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
Yep was very cold in ohio yesterday,I made it out for about 2 hours.House was built in late 1800's thought it was going to be great.Talked to owner when i arrived and discovered the whole place was resodded about 6 years ago.Still found the clad but even the deep signals were newer.did find one wheat a 53 d.Got so cold i olny dug the deep signals,told owner i would come back another day.Weather says 40 this sunday so im loking for a place to hunt<might have another older house to hunt in town,lady said was ok but checking with hubby,im thinkin shes the boss of the house so i should be good to go lol..hh jon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread