40 MPG

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Does anyone have a vehicle on 4 wheels that really gets 40MPG?
I have had 2. The first was a Renault 4CV. It was a 4door sedan that was a little smaller than a VW beetle. It was fun to drive and averaged better than 40MPG. The second was a Chevy Sprint. It had a 3 cylinder, turbo charged, 1 Litre engine that did 0 to 60 in 8 seconds. It too was fun to drive. I almost forgot. I now have a beach buggy 63 VW chassis 74 VW engine Fiberglass body, an x show car that I am restoring. I would venture a guess that it will easily break the 40MPG barrier. Frank

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How Bout GPM 3 Gallon Per Mile! :laughing7:

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Never come close to 40! :laughing9: Best thing we have is a Charger and it gets 24. Would be nice though if they could get 40mpg on a car/truck other than it being a cracker-box car/truck. Get in a assident in that and you can kiss the first three letters goodbye! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Did you notice that the new VW diesel gets better than 40MPG and you don't have to worry about that $3k battery pack.

Talk about GPM, sounds like my old Army duce and a half.Pick a smiley

Close Window

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get between 26/30 mpg and it's a 6 cyl and 2x the size of a VW Beetle.... So for 10 mpg I'll stay with comfort :laughing7:

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
VW TDI hit this number easily...

I own a 2010 TDI Cup and it gets 46 MPG on the highway...

tdicupside.jpg

tdicupside.jpg

Volkswagen’s popular Jetta TDI Cup spec series competition pits identically-equipped clean diesel Jettas against one another with young up-and-coming race drivers behind the wheel. It’s a spectacle of on-the-edge driving combined with clean running, powerful, and highly fuel efficient race cars showcasing how diesel can offer eco performance without sacrifice.

The racing world has historically proved out leading-edge technologies and vehicles on the track that make their way to the street. Many have hoped that VW would follow suit with a street version of the Jetta TDI Cup car, and now it’s come to pass with street variants of TDI Cup diesel racers at the showroom.

The TDI Cup Street Edition shares many similarities with the race car that are identifiable at a glance. These include the front bumper, side skirts, and rear valance from the TDI Cup race cars, along with TDI Cup appliqués and door sill inserts. Rolling stock consists of 18 inch Charleston wheels with performance all-season tires. The street variants are available in similar GLI colors as the racers as well. Inside, the street edition includes sport seats with Interlagos cloth and a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

Power is supplied by VW’s 2.0-liter clean diesel engine that offers up 140 horsepower and a meaty 236 lb-ft torque, in part brought by an electronically controlled turbocharger and common rail direct injection technology. Both six-speed manual and automated direct-shift DSG transmissions are available, with the latter coming with wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

Performance is enhanced with the TDI Cup race car’s sway bars and European sport tuned suspension from the performance oriented GLI. VW’s Jetta TDI Cup Street Edition starts around $25,000, with a cost break brought by a federal $1,300 Advanced Lean Burn Technology Motor Vehicle income tax credit … which just goes to show that you can indeed have it all.

Want to know more about clean diesel vehicles? Be sure to check out these articles on GreenCar.com:

http://www.greencar.com/articles/vw-tdi-cup-street-edition-jetta-drives-race-theme.php

Attachments

• tdicupfront.jpg
    tdicupfront.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
T if that is theGMC with the automatic with low and hi plus level and hilly positions, It will have no trouble with that load. I use to hall a 5000# trailer with a load in the bed too. The Army underates all their vehicles. Frank

S

stefen

This 405 hp zoom-zoom gets 25+ mpg highway and a little less in town...

Why sacrifice a fun drive for a shoehorn-type car...

Attachments

• VET 5.jpg
    VET 5.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 89
  • VET COUPE.jpg
    VET COUPE.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 128
  • VET 5.jpg
    VET 5.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 82
S

Smee

I used to drive a little Datsun B210 hatchback to deliver papers in rural Arkansas. 42 mpg with the A17 engine and 5 speed manual tranny.

When I got a real job, I had to sell it. Only had 315,000 miles on it. The guy who I sold it to turned the tires over when he hit the black top. Fun little car to drive, great gas mileage . . . but way too small for 5'11 big boy like me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread