4000 gph 12 volt pump??

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
CatFishJim90,

There is no easy way if your going to use 12VDC. I have pointed a few other options on page 1. It really comes down to cost and weight. Personally I would look at all options as batteries will need to be replaced over time. Then the expense and time to charging the batteries. Out here in Arizona it makes sense to go solar without any batteries and run off the solar panels, but have a battery for stand-by in the event of an overcast day. Either way its nearly silent over a gas engine, fuel, and oil...

Last edited:

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You did not mention the size of battery your wanting to buy. Any deep cycle battery you should never allow the battery to drop below 50 percent of its capacity. So knowing this if you buy a 100ah battery your only going to get a few hours of use.

What?! A deep cycle battery is made to "deep cycle" ie full charge to near full discharge without significant damage unlike a lead acid. Basically a deep cycle is usually AGM or absorbant glass mat or specially made lead acid and does not have the typical plates that get coated and are unable to transfer electrons like a normal lead acid.
In the past deep cycles were lead acid but with battery advancements most now are made AGM but you can still readily find lead acid deep cycles either flooded or the more popular nowadays VRLA. Since Douglas (exide) shut down companies like Banner are taking batteries into the 21rst century. With all the econuts and global warming talk our world is changing from a fossil fuel to a energy storage device world quickly. Look at the auto industry for inspiration.
True that total discharge is bad for any battery ( except lithium which is bs ) deep cycle batteries are made to handle the stress a lot better and deep cycles are designed to discharge to more than 3/4 of its total capacity. As long as the battery is charged fully before it is stored for long periods you should have atleast a year or two of great battery power as long as you have a battery with enough amp hours to run properly.
I use a 900 CCA 90Ah 160 RC BMW AGM battery for hours and hours when running my gold cube but it's not a high amperage pump. Don't be fooled howver this battery is a power monster and it does not all come down to amp hours. You have to look at reserve capacity and CCAs as well. There is so many formulas available online to help calculate just how much battery you need it's enough to make your head hurt. My advice crappy as it is is to get the most powerful most heavy most pricey ungodly battery you can afford as running out of juice in the field is as bad as running out of gas. Dead in the water literally.
I say BS that lithium a need total discharges as part of its normal discharge/recharge schedule as I have seen a few brand new I3 rEX vehicles Stone dead and unrecoverable after battery is smoked dead. Also try discharging an iPhone totally. Your battery is never the same and I don't care what Apple says- it's a ploy to ale you buy a new device just like when a new iOS comes out suddenly your old device slows down... Hummmm
Whatever you decide be ready to lug that thing around as my AGM weighs like 25lbs and is not easy to carry. Also as AZviper said it comes down to cost and weight. I get batteries free but my 950 will run you over 300 bucks!
I personally wouldn't invest too much on a battery right now as Lithium is smaller/lighter/more powerful and is really just beginning to break into the auto industry in a big way. The prices of lithium will go way down once Samsung keeps cranking them out by the thousands. Wish Ida bought stock in lithium manufacturers a few years ago...
It's the new gold rush

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Avg:
Motorcycle battery: 10 lbs
Car Battery: 39 lbs
Truck Battery: 53 lbs

<3

Get a lithium battery! They are much lighter (and much more expensive--but hey, the weight is the thing, right?)

And Sick4gold is right, the cost will come down.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At $500.00 to $1200.00 for a single 100AH Lithium battery that weighs 32lbs I would be buying a few 200 watt solar panels, controller and not worry owning and replacing batteries and run the pump directly from solar, but I am in Az. where sunshine is available year round.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Again I stress that those interested in buying a DEEP CYCLE battery to read this link, DEEP CYCLE BATTERY FAQ Look at this chart. If you want your deep cycle to last discharge it to a safe level and recharge the battery. 40% is ok but as I and Jim In Idaho have stated your better off at 50%.

Here are no-load typical voltages vs state of charge

(figured at 10.5 volts = fully discharged, and 77 degrees F). Voltages are for a 12 volt battery system. For 24 volt systems multiply by 2, for 48 volt system, multiply by 4. VPC is the volts per individual cell - if you measure more than a .2 volt difference between each cell, you need to equalize, or your batteries are going bad, or they may be sulfated. These voltages are for batteries that have been at rest for 3 hours or more. Batteries that are being charged will be higher - the voltages while under charge will not tell you anything, you have to let the battery sit for a while. For longest life, batteries should stay in the green zone. Occasional dips into the yellow are not harmful, but continual discharges to those levels will shorten battery life considerably. It is important to realize that voltage measurements are only approximate. The best determination is to measure the specific gravity, but in many batteries this is difficult or impossible. Note the large voltage drop in the last 10%.

BT Chart.png

OP
OP
C

catfishjim90

Mar 29, 2011
Well I got me a new battery for my 4000 gal pump.It's a 12 volt deep cycle 110 amp hours and 210 min at 25 amps reserve capacity. Weight 60 pounds brand name Stash. I paid 110.00. Same type battery at bass pro shop was 200.00. Thanks for everybody's help!

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Catfishjim90,

Just remember if you don't need to run full open on the pump and you use either a ball valve or gate valve to restrict water flow you will lower your AMP draw and while lowering your AMP's you will gain on battery run-time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread