41D Merc and another stinkin fake gold ring.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got in a 2.5 hour hunt this afternoon at a pounded late 1800s house site.
After about 2 hours of nothing other than another stinkin fake gold ring, and some tiny lead, I decided to try notching out some numbers.
I don't normally notch, but what the heck. I notched out 0-30, 97-99, and ran my discrim up from 0 to 25.
I decided to work a grassy parking area where ive never found much other than lots of trash, and ended up pulling a nice shiny merc.
Not sure im crazy about the notchin, but it seemed to work, this evening.
The notching was def more quiet, but it sounded like a lot of signals would break up as soon as they started to sound off.

Attachments

• DSC03155.JPG
    DSC03155.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 7

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now why would you disc out anything, if you are notching out 0 30.
The breaking up of signals was the machine filtering.
It picks up the signal then lets it go because its falling into were your notched..
Oh. Any silver on a hunt is a good hunt...

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had many hunts this year where that ring would have been welcomed lol. I just hunted an incredible looking old farm house that provided me with a 1970's aluminum " good for " token as the star of the show. Talk about disappointment! Nice Merc.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now why would you disc out anything, if you are notching out 0 30.
The breaking up of signals was the machine filtering.
It picks up the signal then lets it go because its falling into were your notched..
Oh. Any silver on a hunt is a good hunt...

I don't know, guess I was just frustrated at first and wanted to try something different.
I pretty much have always used 0 discrim, as soon as, and ever since I started with this machine, and it was really noisy yest evening.
I don't normally use notching, but thought what the heck. Im not finding anything good today, so I might as well experiment.
So basically what you are saying is notching 0-30, is about the same as running discrim up to 25? And it is not necessary to do both?
Sometimes the trashy sites noise can be really irritating, but id almost prefer the noise/true signals to the choppy broken up signals.
I agree any silver is good, but I have pulled some oldies from this site, and was kinda hoping for something older, but I cant complain.
The merc saved the day, and was a good find in my book.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had many hunts this year where that ring would have been welcomed lol. I just hunted an incredible looking old farm house that provided me with a 1970's aluminum " good for " token as the star of the show. Talk about disappointment! Nice Merc.
I guess I have found way to many "Fake" gold rings lately. Sure would like to find a real one.
I shouldn't be upset, I walk away lots of times without silver, or anything much to show for.
Errr, now I cant be uspet. Wife just now walked in with Tato-nut Doughnuts.........
I know what you mean OD about the incredible old farm house. Some of the sites or areas ive always wanted to hunt provide next to nothing when I finally get a chance to hunt them. And some of my better finds come from places where I least expect.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like your going to have to dig some deep trash signals at that site to pull some of the old coins you seek. Congrats on pulling that Merc and junk ring.:occasion14:

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like your going to have to dig some deep trash signals at that site to pull some of the old coins you seek. Congrats on pulling that Merc and junk ring.:occasion14:
Thanks Loco, and you are probably right about the good stuff being deep.
I still have high hopes for this site. The first time I went there was with the XLT, and I pulled 2 seated dimes, an IHP, and 2 V-nicks. Went back a couple more times and didn't get much of anything.
Since getting the XP, ive been there a few times and pulled another IHP, an intact CW GS Eagle button, and now this merc.
Most of the deep, not so good signals end up being tiny shallow trash, or deep trash, but im not giving up on that site.
Seems each time I go there I find a little something, and that keeps me going back.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus is a great machine. It gets great depth and doesn't have an overload. The only problem is, (And it's a big one), the machine will sound off on a lot of trash. In NYC Parks,, steel bottle caps come in like silver dimes. It is very frustrating. I don't have that problem with the E-Trac
Well done on the Mercury Dime.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I have found way to many "Fake" gold rings lately. Sure would like to find a real one.
I shouldn't be upset, I walk away lots of times without silver, or anything much to show for.
Errr, now I cant be uspet. Wife just now walked in with Tato-nut Doughtnuts.........
I know what you mean OD about the incredible old farm house. Some of the sites or areas ive always wanted to hunt provide next to nothing when I finally get a chance to hunt them. And some of my better finds come from places where I least expect.

People always talk about research being the one thing that will put us on finds, but luck and virgin sites are pretty helpful as well. My oldest post colonial coin ( a DB LC ) came from the yard of a 1940's home. I was on a very long streak of "no's" as far as permission seeking goes. In the last 2 weeks I have been able to get a yes at some places that looked and should have been incredible. One place was the old farmhouse I talked about earlier. Another was a very nice old 1870's house that is on the site of a mill of some sort. The only coin found there was a Lincoln memorial cent. I did find another reins guide, a brass belt buckle and some sort of enameled shield. I spent quite a bit of time and gas to finally get the permissions and that probably contributed to the disappointments. People just getting into the hobby should have to read threads like this one lol. Good luck is around the corner for us both...let's be patient!

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Deus is a great machine. It gets great depth and doesn't have an overload. The only problem is, (And it's a big one), is the machine will sound off on a lot of trash. In NYC Parks,, steel bottle caps come in like silver dimes. It is very frustrating. I don't have that problem with the E-Trac
Well done on the Mercury Dime.
Thanks ATW. Im really happy with the XP and have been making some good finds with it this year.
I cant complain about the XP. I really like how it is super fast and doesn't go null/lose thresh-hold when in a super trashy area when in 0 discrim.
The only bad side is "sometimes" all that noise can drive you nuts.
Most times I just think all the noise is great info, but other times it can get annoying.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
People always talk about research being the one thing that will put us on finds, but luck and virgin sites are pretty helpful as well. My oldest post colonial coin ( a DB LC ) came from the yard of a 1940's home. I was on a very long streak of "no's" as far as permission seeking goes. In the last 2 weeks I have been able to get a yes at some places that looked and should have been incredible. One place was the old farmhouse I talked about earlier. Another was a very nice old 1870's house that is on the site of a mill of some sort. The only coin found there was a Lincoln memorial cent. I did find another reins guide, a brass belt buckle and some sort of enameled shield. I spent quite a bit of time and gas to finally get the permissions and that probably contributed to the disappointments. People just getting into the hobby should have to read threads like this one lol. Good luck is around the corner for us both...let's be patient!
I agree OD.
Last week we got permission to an 1870s house that was on a nice big piece of land.
2nd target was a 1905 token. Showed it to the homeowner and I could tell he really liked it.
So I let him keep it, as I thought 2nd target 1905, and how im just gona kill it today, lol.
3 hours later = 2 dollars in clad, an old colt long bullet, and some junk.
Guess I shoulda kept the token. The good side is, they were nice people, and they invited us back anytime.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Good finds BP. Any time a silver coin shows up, it's a good hunt for me.

Vino knows the Deus. He helped me with mine, and it has paid off.

Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good finds BP. Any time a silver coin shows up, it's a good hunt for me.

Vino knows the Deus. He helped me with mine, and it has paid off.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks Tom. and I agree, any silver makes a good day for BP. Its just that ive been finding so many fake gold rings lately. :BangHead:.
Vino is a great guy. He has helped me lots. Ive gotten some good advice from him in the past, and value everything he tells me.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notching out or not, that is a very nice looking Merc. One of the machines I use is the Fisher CZ 5, & run the disc on 3. ( very low ) That means I dig just about everything except a woman's bobby pin. I dig a heck of a lot of garbage, but have also made some great finds over the 25 yrs. I have been detecting.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Notching out or not, that is a very nice looking Merc. One of the machines I use is the Fisher CZ 5, & run the disc on 3. ( very low ) That means I dig just about everything except a woman's bobby pin. I dig a heck of a lot of garbage, but have also made some great finds over the 25 yrs. I have been detecting.

Thanks TH. I agree, the merc has nice details, and was unusually clean when it came out of the ground. Most aren't in this soil.
I usually run 0 discrim 0 notch. Was just experimenting with some discrim to see if that helps.
Not sure if it really helped or not, because I normally don't hunt the spot where I found the merc, as the soil is tightly packed and I have only found clad and nuts in the bolts in that section.
So most times I avoid it.

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bonepicker, are going to repair that old ring (re-mount the stone)?

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly is a super fine merc. Sometimes it is possible to notch certain levels out to get better results.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good looking silver! Congratz!

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bonepicker, are going to repair that old ring (re-mount the stone)?
Nah, its pretty beat up and the gold plate or enamel is about 1/2 worn off.
Probably throw it in the junk pile.
Thought it might be real at first and since it was broken, went back over the hole to see if I left anything behind and out popped the stone in a metal casing.
Certainly is a super fine merc. Sometimes it is possible to notch certain levels out to get better results.
That merc is probably one of my best condition dimes ive ever found. Most are worn, black, and pitted. This one came out clean, shiny, and pretty un-worn.
I usually hunt 0 discrim, but the noise was wearing on me, so I tried a little discrim to see if that would help.
LOVE that merc! Awesome!
Thanks.. Looks like it was dropped shortly after it was minted.
Good looking silver! Congratz!
Thanks Jason. Wish more came out the ground looking that nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread