$45.00 to RE-solder a couple wires on fisher headphones (UPDATE)

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent my fisher head phones in for repair they called today and said they are fixed a couple wires came loose. They re- soldered. They want to charge me $45.00 for the fix. Also before I sent my headphones in I called in advance to let them know I was sending them back. The man I spoke with Insisited I send my controll box into. I said nothing is wrong with it but he still insisited, any how I just sent the phones back. Does this seem unreasonabel I have not paid them yet. I also thought Fisher had a lifetime warranty on all there stuff.

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: $45.00 to RE-solder a couple wires on fisher headphones

nova said:
I also thought Fisher had a lifetime warranty on all there stuff.

5 years on detectors ... that's what it says in my f75 manual ...

~ Al

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

what model detector? what model headphones? who did you talk to?

OP
OP
nova

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seeker41 said:
what model detector? what model headphones? who did you talk to?

Fisher CZ3D
Stock headphones(M Scope) that come with it. I spoke with Felix.

I am calling them Friday 5/14
To find out why so much, that seems quite high to me.

I called today and $45.00 is the minimum service no matter what kind a fix.
They knocked $10.00 off though.

"It's all good" Life Happens.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I've had two sets of Fisher headphones, one with my CZ-5 back in the early 90's and the one on my CZ-20, both were masters of the most brutal environments. Hope the fix takes and keeps for you.

It does pay to know how to isolate a problem and solder it yourself!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Lifetime warranty on the older Fishers was for manufacturing defects, though they bent over backwards in them days to fix everything for free, just like Tesoro does still. Headphones I don't remember them having a lifetime warranty. Still the repair cost seemed a little high. With these non premium headphones they are like throw away items when they break.

OP
OP
nova

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
I've had two sets of Fisher headphones, one with my CZ-5 back in the early 90's and the one on my CZ-20, both were masters of the most brutal environments. Hope the fix takes and keeps for you.

It does pay to know how to isolate a problem and solder it yourself!

True! I even have a solder gun. :BangHead: Oh well.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Stock head phones are not worth $45.00 why not just buy a new pair?

BFett

Greenie
Jan 13, 2006
Seoul
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Tesoro Lobo
Ouch! Yeah, I just went ahead and bought new ones. I also noticed that one of the Pirate detectors had the circuits build into the headphones. Might be hard to through them out. But, still seems like they could put in some kind of support like in the old days.

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The service guy should have done better for you. He should have suggested that you would be better off buying a new set.
Or even better just pulled off the shelf a new set and gave it to you for the repair cost. What's it cost Fisher for the headset $10.00?
The guy wasn't thinking about pleasing the customer. This just reinforces in my mind Fisher customer service is not committed to making customers happy. The company got to big. I liked the old Fisher before it was bought out when employees bent over backwards to please.
I would try to call back and complain to see if they would give you a $45.00 credit towards a new pair.

I still think you get the best service from Tesoro, then White's and Garrett.

OP
OP
nova

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SvenS said:
The service guy should have done better for you. He should have suggested that you would be better off buying a new set.
Or even better just pulled off the shelf a new set and gave it to you for the repair cost. What's it cost Fisher for the headset $10.00?
The guy wasn't thinking about pleasing the customer. This just reinforces in my mind Fisher customer service is not committed to making customers happy. The company got to big. I liked the old Fisher before it was bought out when employees bent over backwards to please.
I would try to call back and complain to see if they would give you a $45.00 credit towards a new pair.

I still think you get the best service from Tesoro, then White's and Garrett.

Yes! My experience with these clowns was horrible. The headphones took a crap one week after they were repaired. I called and they said send em back, this time with the entire machine. I say I don't have any more funds for shipping.
The clerk said we will send you a shipping label. I say OK fine, well he insures my machine for only $100.00 I called back and say I paid 7x that what you insured it for. So he connects me to the manager. She insures it for $800.00 so I sent the entire machine back with phones I called Friday, 6/11/10 clerk said machine was shipped and phones were repaired. These joker's couldn't even give me a courtesy call or email to inform me it has been shipped and here is a tracking # (nothing,zilch,nada,zero). (Also for the other comments) I should of just bought a new pair of phones but I thought Fisher was better than this.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher used to be better than this. But the reason why they probably wanted the controls too was to check the connection at the jack. If it was bad also the fixed phones still wouldn't work. Why not deep six the cheap phones and get some Grey Ghosts or Black Widows?

OP
OP
nova

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Fisher used to be better than this. But the reason why they probably wanted the controls too was to check the connection at the jack. If it was bad also the fixed phones still wouldn't work. Why not deep six the cheap phones and get some Grey Ghosts or Black Widows?

That's the next step. Should of been the first :wink:

Thanks folks, keep those fishers swinging low and slow.
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread