#49 is a BIG one!

amxfred

May 14, 2011
Dekalb, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Sunray X-1 Probe & Auvio wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I hoped to get my 50th silver coin for 2012 this weekend but it didn't happen. But I did get #49 and it is a first for me. I went out GPS freestyling Saturday with Marinedad for a 5 hour hunt and no luck. I ended up with 46 clad, one Wheatie and a small silver ring with a tiny diamond. (Probably fake!) Today at 10am I go out alone to a local park and at 11am it is raining so hard I had to run back to the car to keep my E-Trac from drowning. :tongue3: Then in an hour it clears up and I am supposed to meet my son to play golf. :hello2: Fifteen minutes before our tee-off all #$&% breaks loose! :BangHead: So I sit for another hour and then my son makes other plans for the day and leaves me. Then the weather clears up some so I decide to go back for another hour or two of detecting. On the way there it starts to rain and I almost turned around but I brought my raincover for the E-trac so I decided to try it. I park the car and turn on the detector and walk about 5 feet when the E-Trac starts to scream at 7 inches. It is jumping all over with readings of 6-48, 7-47, 5-45, etc. I ignored the numbers and started to dig figuring I had another aluminum can. At about seven inches I saw the shiny can bottom at the bottom of the hole. I took my Lesche digger and decided to flip it out. (BIG MISTAKE!!! :violent1:) When I flipped it I saw the face. :occasion18: It turned out to be a 1904-S Barber half!! :headbang: The happy dance was on! My first silver half. I did scratch it a bit but I can live with it. I love this hobby. Happy hunting to all!:occasion14:

Last edited:

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Congratulations on your first half and it being a Barber! You are having a great year with almost 50 silvers by the first week in May!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred, we need to see all the gory scars on Miss. Lib's face! LOL (Nice score!)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nice dig for a firster for sure! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread