4H Camp "Field of Dreams"

waynokan

Nov 5, 2006
In 1993 my son & I were granted access to a 4-H camp on the coast of North Carolina that was built in the 1940's. School was out & we were able to detect for 6-8 hours per day for a week. This was a 23 acre site, with a dining facility, individual lodging structures, a swimming pool and other athletic activity locations. The site had never been detected, coins were literally visible on the surface everywhere!!! In that week of detecting we took out over 6000 coins, the oldest being a 1864 2-cent piece, and two Indian Head cents. Of course pennies were the most common coin found. On one morning my son found over 300 wheat pennies. We found hundreds of silver coins, primarily dimes, quarters & halves. Also found several sterling silver filagree friendship rings that were popular after WWII into the 50's. Over the next few years I continued to hunt the area, taking out an approximate 2500 coins. Needless to say it was my favorite site to hunt. The caretaker indicated I, along with my son were the only folks to detect the camp. Collectively I know we took out over 8000 coins. I didn't begin to scratch the surface as we only detected a small percentage of the camp. I moved from North Carolina in 2001, revisited the area in 2006 only to discover the property had been developed into a residential development. What great memories for a "once in a life time detecting experience".

Upvote 4

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly a unique and great hunting site. And how sad to see it go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread